Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KC Weirdwolf
    • Apr 2006

[Forum] Installing 4.1.7 Patch level 1

I am new to 4.1.7 and have never had to install any updates. We have a number of image customizations and so forth that I don't want to have messed up. Where can I find the steps to installing the patch and do I need to worry about it making changes to my current configuration?
  • Zaggeh
    • Oct 2011
    • 4.1.x

This was the first patch for me too, and it was a little confusing at first (Mostly just FINDING it, as at first all I saw was the full download).

To answer your question about where. Log into the member's area (Customer Login at vbulletin.com and then on the left you should see Patches/Security Patches under Support Services. That should bring up a page with a ton of patches, the one at the top, "Security patch: 4.1.7 Suite PL1" (may vary depending on your exact license, as I have the "suite"), is the one you need.

To install, extract it and upload the full contents of the archive to your base vbulletin directory on your web server. That's it.

As for worrying about it making changes to your current configuration, I'm not qualified to answer that. Worked fine for me, but I don't have any customizations/mods, just basic settings and styelvar changes. If you have a heavily modified forum (stuff from vbulletin.org), then you probably have more to be concerned about. If all of your "image customizations" are done through stylevars, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about...
    Last edited by Zaggeh; Tue 1 Nov '11, 7:05am.
    Using vBulletin 4.x Publishing Suite at Clylla Game & Guild Portal

Comment

• Videx
      • Jan 2007

Thanks for that pointer to the specific file. VB team, please take note that in your announcement nobody ever said which file was the patch file out of the dozens on that page. It may be obvious to you, but we're not mind readers. A file name would have helped.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

The file is called Security patch: 4.1.7 Suite PL1 and it's the only one with "4.1.7" in the name. Patch files must match the version of vBulletin you are running.

This patch will not effect any custom styles or graphics.

Comment

• Faisal_Computer
          • Oct 2011
          • 4.1.x

hi,
          any step by step manual ? i'm also newbie
          Br
          Faisal_Computer

Comment

• Zaggeh
            • Oct 2011
            • 4.1.x

Step by step? It's a really basic install.

Log into the vBulletin Customers Area (http://members.vbulletin.com/) using the Customer ID and password that was issued to you when you purchased vBulletin (Should have been sent in an email titled "vBulletin Customer Information" from [email protected]).

Go to the Patches/Security Patches (http://members.vbulletin.com/patches.php) section on the left under "Support Services".

Click on "Security patch: 4.1.7 Suite PL1" under your license.

Note: On the following screen, for probably like 90% of people, you can keep it on "Download Latest Version". Do not worry about "More Download Options" unless you also used that when you downloaded your vBulletin installation package. If you did, just use the same settings you used when you first downloaded vBulletin.

Read/Agree to the License agreement and click "Download Security Fix for vBulletin Suite 4.1.7".

Save the file somewhere on your local computer.

Extract the file to a location you can easily access (suggested you put its contents in its own folder).

You should now see two folders, includes and packages.

Use your favorite FTP client to upload the entire folders into your base vBulletin directory on your web server. This is the directory that has a bunch of php files, your LICENSE file, and some folders such as admincp, includes, and packages.

That is all that is required. You're done. You can confirm you have the latest version by opening the AdminCP and looking at the very top of the screen.
            Last edited by Zaggeh; Tue 1 Nov '11, 11:52am. Reason: Clarified folder upload

Comment

• Faisal_Computer
              • Oct 2011
              • 4.1.x

thanks you ,
              can you please pm me your contact , so i can talk with you some other issue on my forum ?

and you please check this

can you help me about it ?
              Br
              Faisal_Computer

Comment

• Zaggeh
                • Oct 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Faisal_Computer
                thanks you ,
                can you please pm me your contact , so i can talk with you some other issue on my forum ?
                Sorry, but I think I'll have to pass. I'm just a regular user who has too much free time on his hands at work. I'm a total newbie to vBulletin. I've only been using it on a live site for like 2 days now. I think the support staff here will be better suited to helping you than me.

That is really an issue with your theme. (body width, body min-width, and body max-width all have specific settings). With the default theme you can change this with the doc_width stylevar, but since you are using a custom theme I'm not sure if that'd help you. Your best bet is to get support from the creator of the theme.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Faisal_Computer
                  hi,
                  any step by step manual ? i'm also newbie
                  Br
                  Faisal_Computer
                  Download Patch ZIP File.
                  Unzip.
                  Upload the files in your Patch to your server.
                  Overwrite the pre-existing files.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• aussiefooty
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6.0.X

Installing 4.1.7 Patch level 1

Thanks! That was exactly what i needed to know as well.
                    Update: I did it! And the best thing is that it works as well!
                    Thanks for your help guys!
                    Last edited by aussiefooty; Thu 3 Nov '11, 4:24pm.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• buddha69
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 4.1.x

Does the latest patch override the previous patches? Or do you have to patch each one? Feels like a stupid question. I figure you just install the latest patch and your set.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Each patch download is separate. The new download package of all the files is cumulative though.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Apolinario
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zaggeh
                          Step by step? It's a really basic install.

Log into the vBulletin Customers Area (http://members.vbulletin.com/) using the Customer ID and password that was issued to you when you purchased vBulletin (Should have been sent in an email titled "vBulletin Customer Information" from [email protected]).

Go to the Patches/Security Patches (http://members.vbulletin.com/patches.php) section on the left under "Support Services".

Click on "Security patch: 4.1.7 Suite PL1" under your license.

Note: On the following screen, for probably like 90% of people, you can keep it on "Download Latest Version". Do not worry about "More Download Options" unless you also used that when you downloaded your vBulletin installation package. If you did, just use the same settings you used when you first downloaded vBulletin.

Read/Agree to the License agreement and click "Download Security Fix for vBulletin Suite 4.1.7".

Save the file somewhere on your local computer.

Extract the file to a location you can easily access (suggested you put its contents in its own folder).

You should now see two folders, includes and packages.

Use your favorite FTP client to upload the entire folders into your base vBulletin directory on your web server. This is the directory that has a bunch of php files, your LICENSE file, and some folders such as admincp, includes, and packages.

That is all that is required. You're done. You can confirm you have the latest version by opening the AdminCP and looking at the very top of the screen.
                          Very easy even to newbie when explanation always like this.

Comment