X number of posts to be able to enter blog entry....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatS
    • Nov 2006
    • 4.0.x

[Blog] X number of posts to be able to enter blog entry....

So when I have a spammer register, the 2 things they do first is attempt to PM and create a blog post. I have it setup so you can't PM until you have at least 5 posts. How can I set it up so you have to have at least X posts to be able to blog? I'm not finding anything regarding this option.

Thanks!
  • Troy Roberts
    • May 2000

How are you controlling the PM permissions? Did you limit the permissions on the Registered Users group and then setup a promotion to a usergroup with PM permissions? If so, just edit the Registered Users usergroup again to limit blogging permissions.

Admin CP > Usergroups > Usergroup Manager > Choose the usergroup & scroll down to Blog General Permissions & the three blog related sections below that. Set them all to No.

Comment

• PatS
      • Nov 2006
      • 4.0.x

Not setup through promotions. I don't remember exactly where it was that I set it up, but you can set min # of posts to be able to PM. I was REALLY hoping the option to restrict blogging until after X posts was that simple. But I'm guessing that it's not.

Comment

• PatS
        • Nov 2006
        • 4.0.x

Bump....Anyone else?

Can I limit being able to blog based on posts?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

If you're not using the Promotions system for Private Massages, you're using an addon. The only way to do both of these things in the default system is through the promotions system.

You would need to restrict blogging permissions for the registered usergroup. After they make XX posts, then promote them to a usergroup that has permissions to blog.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Riasat
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by PatS
            Not setup through promotions. I don't remember exactly where it was that I set it up, but you can set min # of posts to be able to PM. I was REALLY hoping the option to restrict blogging until after X posts was that simple. But I'm guessing that it's not.
            You are probably using the mod Advanced User Permissions based on Post Count. It does not support blog entry restrictions.

What you can do is to create a new usergroup called Bloggers. Give it blog permissions and remove blog permissions from registered users.

Then create a user promotion that promotes registered users to bloggers based on post count.

Comment

• PatS
              • Nov 2006
              • 4.0.x

Negative. Settings->Options->Private Message Options->Number of posts needed to send pm.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              If you're not using the Promotions system for Private Massages, you're using an addon. The only way to do both of these things in the default system is through the promotions system.

You would need to restrict blogging permissions for the registered usergroup. After they make XX posts, then promote them to a usergroup that has permissions to blog.

Comment

• Troy Roberts
                • May 2000

That option is not in my install. It is probably part of the addon, not the default product.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Negative. Settings->Options->Private Message Options->Number of posts needed to send pm.
                  This isn't a default option. Addons can easily add new options to the system and integrate them with existing option groups. That is part of the real power of the vBulletin Engine.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• PatS
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Troy Roberts
                    That option is not in my install. It is probably part of the addon, not the default product.
                    That could be I guess, I really don't know. I'm running vBulletin 4.1.5 Patch Level 1

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

The only way to restrict users from creating Blog Entries in the Default System is to use Promotions. There is no other way or magic option to allow this. If you want some other method, you'll need to ask over at www.vBulletin.org.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• PatS
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 4.0.x

Then maybe moving forward, having the option to restrict blog, PM, etc... use to the amount of posts one has would be a great thing to add to the default code set. Obviously far easier than creating an additional user group and then creating promotions.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        This isn't a default option. Addons can easily add new options to the system and integrate them with existing option groups. That is part of the real power of the vBulletin Engine.

Comment

• Troy Roberts
                          • May 2000

Looks like the bottom line is that it is not an option in the default vb. So your options are to find an addon that does what you want at vbulletin.org or to use promotions to manage the permissions.

You may be able to get the author of your addon to extend it to support blogs. This is one addon that bases many permissions on user post count. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=233979 There are several requests to the author to add blog permissions by post count to the product.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

Then maybe moving forward, having the option to restrict blog, PM, etc... use to the amount of posts one has would be a great thing to add to the default code set. Obviously far easier than creating an additional user group and then creating promotions.
                            You can add your feature request here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...20&issuetype=7

However I believe the existing promotion system and permissions is a better solution for this scenario than adding even more options to a convoluted system.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment