User avatar not showing in forum sidebar (recent posts)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DFORMS
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] User avatar not showing in forum sidebar (recent posts)

Hi,

The user avatars are not displaying in the forum sidebar (recent posts), it's just empty padding space. Can someone help me fix this?

Thank you!
  • DFORMS
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

Bump

Comment

• GHST
      • Dec 2006
      • 4.1.x

User avatar not showing in forum sidebar (recent posts)

Try rebuilding the avatar thumbnails. When I upgraded to 4.1.7 I had to do that to show some avatars on my mobile app.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

If the above doesn't work, what fixed it for me was going to Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Safe Mode Upload Enable, had to set this to "Yes" and then rebuild the avatars.

Comment

• Wizardjv
          • Feb 2006

I am having the same exact problem and none of these ideas worked to fix it.. Any other ideas?

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

Disable Hooks: ​https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ystem-globally

Then run rebuild avatars again.

If you issue is in the CMS and not the forum sidebar, rebuild the CMS cache too.

Comment

• Wizardjv
              • Feb 2006

Nope that did not work either .. Is there anyway to just remove them from the sidebar since that is the only place they are not working??

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

I suppose you could edit the template but can ask one more question- are your avatars stored in the database or file system? If you go to Admin CP -> Avatars -> User Picture Storage Type, it will tell you. I have seen moving avatars to the file system fix this before, and it's better for the forum anyway if they are moved to the file system.

Comment

• Wizardjv
                  • Feb 2006

Update***

Apparently I figured it out. It seems the update someone managed to give ownership of that folder to the server. Which would not allow you to delete or write to the folder without being root. Once I figured this out. I managed to delete the entire folder after backing it up of course. I backed up customavatars and then deleted the thumbs folder inside of it. I reupped the customavatar folder and then rebuilt them and now all is fixed. I have no idea how the folder became locked like that, but this seems to have solved my problem. So if anyone else comes across this maybe it will help Thank you Bird for your assistance

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

Thank you for providing the update. Might very well come in handy.

Comment

• DFORMS
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 4.1.x

Well actually when I try to upload a avatar I get this error message:

Warning: tempnam() [function.tempnam]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 1008199/1008199 is not allowed to access /shared owned by uid/gid 0/0 in [path]/includes/class_dm_userpic.php on line 204

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: Filename cannot be empty in [path]/includes/class_image.php on line 333

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DFORMS
                        Well actually when I try to upload a avatar I get this error message:

Warning: tempnam() [function.tempnam]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 1008199/1008199 is not allowed to access /shared owned by uid/gid 0/0 in [path]/includes/class_dm_userpic.php on line 204

Warning: fopen() [function.fopen]: Filename cannot be empty in [path]/includes/class_image.php on line 333
                        Can you confirm if you tried what I suggested in Post #4?

Comment

• DFORMS
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 4.1.x

When I set 'Safe Mode Upload Enabled' to 'Yes' and try to upload an avatar I get this error:

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 1008199/1008199 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid/gid 0/0 in [path]/includes/class_upload.php on line 370

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                            • Jul 2008

Find the /tmp directory by ftp and make sure it is chmod 777. You may need to delete/rename the directory and recreate it with the appropriate chmod.

Comment

• DFORMS
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 4.1.x

Ive looked but I am unable to locate the /tmp folder : s ? The only file in 'images/customavatars' is 'thumb'.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...