Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeB
    • Nov 2008

[Forum] moderating the first few posts

I read about this some where, but can't remember where.

Basically, I am thinking of disabling my invite system, which of course doesn't allow anyone to register with out an invitation.

However, every time I try that, it never fails, I have like 5 to 10 bots register and blasts spam within an hour.

I know, this is not a solution to that, but to prevent it from getting to my forum members, how do I set it up, so that new registered users, I have to monitor say their first 5 posts, and then once I moderate their 5th post, they automatically go into a "normal group" where their posts no longer have to be moderated?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. I am a little tired.
    George Beale
    www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Create a new group for your approved members.
    Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Add New Usergroup
    At the top it says "Create Usergroup Based off of Usergroup" in the dropdown choose Registered Usergroup and then click Go if necessary.

The page will reload.

At the top it will say "Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup". Choose Registered here. If you have no custom permissions for the registered usergroup or it says none, just click the save button.

You can change the name and description if you want.

Setup a new Usergroup Promotion.
    Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions
    Use these settings, where X is the number of approved posts that are required:

Usergroup - Registered Users
    Reputation Comparison Type - Greater or Equal to
    Reputation Level - 0
    Days Registered - 0
    Posts - X
    Promotion Strategy - Posts
    Promotion Type - Primary Usergroup
    Move User to Usergroup - the group you created for approved members

Run the scheduled task for Usergroup Promotions.
    Admin CP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Scheduled Task Manager
    Click the "Run Now" button to the right of the Usergroup Promotions task.

Finally remove you need to adjust the permissions of the Registered Usergroup so their posts and threads are moderated. Go to the Usergroup Manager and edit the registered usergroup.
    Admin CP -> Usergroup Manager -> Registered Usergroup -> Edit Usergroup -> Go.
    Set "Follow Forum Moderations Rules" to No.

Click the SAVE button at the bottom of the form.

You will need to check the moderation queue in your UserCP on a regular basis to approve or delete messages from new users. Your moderators also have access in their User CP.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Andy
      • Jan 2002
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by GeorgeB
      I read about this some where, but can't remember where.

Basically, I am thinking of disabling my invite system, which of course doesn't allow anyone to register with out an invitation.

However, every time I try that, it never fails, I have like 5 to 10 bots register and blasts spam within an hour.

I know, this is not a solution to that, but to prevent it from getting to my forum members, how do I set it up, so that new registered users, I have to monitor say their first 5 posts, and then once I moderate their 5th post, they automatically go into a "normal group" where their posts no longer have to be moderated?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. I am a little tired.
      This is what I do to combat spammers.

Comment

• GeorgeB
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        At the top it says "Create Usergroup Based off of Usergroup" in the dropdown choose Registered Usergroup and then click Go if necessary.

The page will reload.

At the top it will say "Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup". Choose Registered here. If you have no custom permissions for the registered usergroup or it says none, just click the save button.

Reputation Level - 0
        Days Registered - 0
        Posts - X

Finally remove you need to adjust the permissions of the Registered Usergroup so their posts and threads are moderated. Go to the Usergroup Manager and edit the registered usergroup.

You will need to check the moderation queue in your UserCP on a regular basis to approve or delete messages from new users. Your moderators also have access in their User CP.
        So much for easy way huh? Sorry, bad humor. I knew there was a lot more to it, then I had originally though, which is why I asked. Thanks Wayne.

Originally posted by Andy
        This is what I do to combat spammers.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum
        Andy,

Thanks for the helpful link. I ran across that before, but because of the invite system that I currently have in place, disregarded it. I will implement some of those techniques too.
        George Beale
        www.millenniumcapitalgroupllc.com - Investment company | www.recyclingbootcamp.com - Where recyclers can come to network with one another! | www.viprecycling.com - Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers! | www.biddingextreme.com - Online Auction Site |

Comment

• GeorgeB
          • Nov 2008

The page will reload.

Reputation Level - 0
          Days Registered - 0
          Posts - X

@Wayne:

Is the new usergroup where I put all my current members in, and then use the one they are in for new signups, or the new usergroup is for new signups, with the promotion of being placed into the new usergroup that is already set up?
          George Beale

Comment

• GeorgeB
            • Nov 2008

Wayne, what I did is in red, according to your directions.

I did this. I created a new user group, and left the name blank. I also selected the "create usergroup based off of usergroup" and choose the default registered user group.

The page will reload.

Like mentioned, I did this, and just left the name blank, since there is no special permission set.

Reputation Level - 0
            Days Registered - 0
            Posts - X

I set up the new promotion, to where when registered usergroups hit 5 approved posts, that it puts them into the other usegroup.

I did this.

I did this.

So, now people will register to the site, and be put in the same usergroup that everyone else is in, but all new users will have their first 5 posts moderated. Once approved, they will still be in the same usergroup, but no longer needing their posts approved, correct?
            George Beale

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

You need to give the new usergroup a name just so you can understand it.

New users will be placed in the Registered Usergroup. After they make XX posts, they will be moved to the usergroup you created and their posts won't be moderated anymore.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GeorgeB
                • Nov 2008

You need to give the new usergroup a name just so you can understand it.

New users will be placed in the Registered Usergroup. After they make XX posts, they will be moved to the usergroup you created and their posts won't be moderated anymore.
                Okay, so when they register, they will be placed into "cash flow consultants"...then after 5 posts, they will be placed into "registered users"

The registered users, will have the same level of permission "cash flow consultants" though, correct, because of basing "registered users" off of "cash flow consultants"

Could the old and new usergroup both be named the same thing?
                Last edited by GeorgeB; Thu 20 Oct '11, 7:15pm.
                George Beale

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by GeorgeB
                  Okay, so when they register, they will be placed into "cash flow consultants"...then after 5 posts, they will be placed into "registered users"
                  No.... After registering they will always be placed in Registered Users. You can't change this without editing the code. Following my directions, after 5 posts, they would be placed in "Cash Flow Accountants" and not be moderated anymore.

The registered users, will have the same level of permission "cash flow consultants" though, correct, because of basing "registered users" off of "cash flow consultants
                  Yes.

Could the old and new usergroup both be named the same thing?
                  Wouldn't that be kind of confusing in the long run. If you name them the same, it will appear twice in every list. Which is which? You would only be able to tell in the Usergroup Manager. I recommend different names. Even if it is just a 1 or 2 after the words.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...