Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Rocketeer
    • Jun 2010

[Forum] How to upgrade to 4.1.7 ?? need some feedback

Hi, our webmaster / maintenance guy is currently unavailable due to some exams he is not able to assist in upgrading our forum to 4.1.7 until next month. So I am wanting to attempt to try doing it myself tomorrow Our forum is using a semi modified default theme with some custom template edits here and there and we also have some mods installed.

From my understanding..

1. Close the forum and disable all mods.
    2. Backup the files and database.
    3. Download the vBulletin 4.1.7 from the members area and unzip it somewhere in my HDD.
    4. Using filezilla, select all the files inside the upload folder and upload them to the server and let them all be overwritten.
    5. Finally run the install / upgrade script from the ACP?
    6. Done?

I know the basics of vBulletin, and have read through some instructions but I want some clarification and some detailed “personal” feedback on how it should be done. I tried doing it last time but later became a bit confused as it asked me to revert some templates. So do I revert them all or is it better I just create a new default style and then slowly redo the edits. Are there some files that I need to leave behind and not upload? Also when creating a new default style, should it be from the style manager or the vB tool kit?

Please leave me some detailed feedback and tell me if I missed something.
  • PossumX
    • Oct 2006
    • 4.1.x

How to upgrade to 4.1.7 ?? need some feedback

For customized templates, i use the compare versions view, side by side, then revert and edit the template in a new tab. This way you can locate the proper insertion points for the edits. It also allows you to see what merged successfully and what did not. Double check all customizations before saving the edit. Been doing it this way for years, and being very nominally modded and only using custom colors, this has always worked for me.

Now, if you have a customized skin/template, this is inherently more painstaking.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...