X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rebecca Tabasso
    • Sep 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] How do I do a Mass Deletion of Users

I have been having issues with spammers hitting my forum , so I was experimenting with different security settings to prevent them from getting in. I turned on Image Verification and User Moderation. I now have over 31,000 users waiting for moderation. Is there any way to do a mass deletion of users by a common field (i.e. IP Address, email address).

Any other suggestions on settings to prevent / limit spammers would be appreciated.
  • spencerp
    • Jan 2010
    • 4.1.x

This addon/plugin helped me alot... http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244707 prune all users with post counts of zero... and you can set it up till a certain date or whatever... Good luck! I originally had 16, 690 as registered.. ran that plugin for a while, and now down to 800 some... Then setup http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244707 and http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042 All the "real" people will come back and rejoin and if they're really real people, they'll get through registrations

Edit: I actually wiped a 1,000 away originally, double checking their email addresses and ip address at stopforumspam.com .. but got tired of doing that and weeding through all of the 16,xxx users... went route of deleting all users with zero post counts instead. so much quicker. i also ran a custom php script, to gather all the users email addresses from database first and plan to email them all later when going to launch. all the real people will get the emails and get through registrations.. while hopefully locking / blocking out the spammers at same time. I've had several attempts of users signing up, they all were apparently spammers... but they couldn't sign up, with those two antispam plugins/addons installed.. .lol
    Last edited by spencerp; Mon 19 Sep '11, 5:35pm.

Comment

• setishock
      • Jun 2005
      • 4.2.x

Bots have been able to read the recaptcha images for some time now. I suggest you switch to a question and answer challenge. Do a search on the forum here. There's lots to read on the subject.

Comment

• spencerp
        • Jan 2010
        • 4.1.x

Oh right, I forgot about that one... Like examples from this thread here: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...-on-your-forum along with another linked thread within that thread...

Comment

• goroddy
          • Aug 2011
          • 4.1.x

I changed my security to a question such as 'To join this website you must write the g-u-i-t-a-r without the spaces

Then made the answer .......guitar

(human verification section)

Seems to have worked

Plus another gem i was pointed to was spamomatic/stopforumspam

as also a learner this is one situation where i can help , this forum has a database of 'active spammers' that after you install 'spam o matic' prevents from them from joining up, it stops em dead in their tracks it seems, below is where you get your download, you then need to use the plugin manager (from memory) in the cms/admin of your forum, upload the file called product_spamomatic.xml. The correct section of the plugin manager will allow you to import the file from your computer

These seem to be the best thing newbies like us can have and use, the stopforumspam/com will answer all your questions or join up at vbulletin.org which is the download link i gave you

I have just book marked the above link and plan to read up on it ........suggest you do the same

hope this all helps you

regards

Comment

• Cricko
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.1.x

The question and answer option seems the best way to me..make it personal to your particular type of site so most would know the answer.It cured spammers I would say by 99% on our site. Bots etc can read Captcha codes quite easily these days.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...