X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradynapier
    • Feb 2013

Copy / Paste Bug with vbulletin 4.20

Hey Everyone,
    I am experiencing a very odd bug and about to launch my site publicly with 50,000 users so I am a bit nervous / concerned!

If I copy/paste any content into a post, I can not edit that post anymore. If I edit it, it will show up as blank in the edit form as if I never even posted anything at all! This is only if I create a new post then paste into it.

If I create a new post, write some text manually - then paste at some point into the post, it will not allow me to edit it anymore. I need to post the manually written content, THEN edit, THEN paste, at which point I can then edit the pasted text. UGH! :-P

If I create a new post, write some text manually and post it, edit it, paste the text - then I can edit the post without problem with all the content available. It is only if I start a new post and paste content into the post then edit that this problem occurs.

This problem occurs anywhere that I can post content. Blog, CMS, and Forums all see the issue.

We are doing a TON of copy/pasting to populate certain sections of our forums so this is a big problem for us at the moment. Any idea what may cause this to happen? I saw something about a bug in PCRE which could have caused something but I have the newest version of that:
    PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions) Support enabled
    PCRE Library Version 8.31 2012-07-06
    PHP Version 5.4.9-4ubuntu2
    • I have tried disabling plugins/hooks to be sure it wasn't those - and the problem still occurs.
    • I have tried creating a new style without parents to see if it was template edits - problem still occurs.
    • Suhosin
      Module Loaded No
      mod_security
      AJAX Unicode Issue No
    • Tested with Chrome and Firefox to eliminate browser as the issue
    • Tried changing to not use CKE and it still doesn't work
    As another weird issue - it appears this is ONLY a problem if I copy/paste FROM vbulletin TO vbulletin. I can copy and paste text from other sources without a problem. Perhaps it is because when I paste it is coming with some HTML code which is breaking it or something?

Update:
    It would appear only certain parts of a paste will break it.

For example, I can edit

"Every Total Control installation begins with an MRX-10, the brains of the system. The MRX-10 stores and issues one-touch automation commands for all components throughout the house over the home network. It provides lightning-fast response time with 100% accuracy and no outside interruptions. When operated by a Total Control remote control, keypad or touchscreen, the MRX-10 provides powerful two-way system status feedback to allow control of components in any room, with any remote, from anywhere on the network. The MRX-10 enhances the control experience by enabling your clients to control virtually any type of component over the network, even if"

However I can not edit:

"Every Total Control installation begins with an MRX-10, the brains of the system. The MRX-10 stores and issues one-touch automation commands for all components throughout the house over the home network. It provides lightning-fast response time with 100% accuracy and no outside interruptions. When operated by a Total Control remote control, keypad or touchscreen, the MRX-10 provides powerful two-way system status feedback to allow control of components in any room, with any remote, from anywhere on the network. The MRX-10 enhances the control experience by enabling your clients to control virtually any type of component over the network, even if it's"

I can copy and paste "it's" from other sources as I thought maybe it was the ' that was causing the problem - but this is not the case.

If I copy and paste the paragraph above that I can not edit, delete it's and retype it manually it works fine.

Wow so just pasting the
    ’ from my post into any post will make it uneditable >IF< it is the first post. I am guessing this has to do with the fact the actual paste of ’ has some content other than just the ’

In another example, pasting a " broke it and I could not longer edit. However this is not always the case - I can copy/paste SOME " and ' but not if it CAME from my same vBulletin it would seem?
    Last edited by bradynapier; Thu 23 May '13, 7:57am.
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

You can change the mode of the editor (wysiwyg/code), did you try copying into it when you switched if to source first? Do you have this problem in every browser?
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• bradynapier
      • Feb 2013

Yes, the problem happens EVERY TIME if I am copy/pasting a ' or a " either in Wysiwyg or "Source" - if a copy/pasted ' or " appears anywhere in the ORIGINAL post it edits as 100% blank. If I type a ' or " manually it is fine. If I copy/paste a ' or " into an edited post it works fine. If I copy/paste a ' or " into a reply I can edit it fine as well.

Actually it appears to be any symbol as the following breaks: