Question: How do I set permissions so member blogs are really private?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djbaxter
    • Aug 2006

[Blog] Question: How do I set permissions so member blogs are really private?

By request of my members on one of my forums, they would like to have full control over the privacy of their blogs.

I have indicated that I think the primary two administrators (or at least me) should have access as needed to ensure nothing illegal or libelous is being posted.

However, I would like to prevent other members, moderators, and global moderators from viewing blogs designated by private, while still allowing them to read admin blogs which are typically related to How To posts or tech support issues.

When I look at blog options and usergroup options pertaining to privacy, however, the permissions appear to be all or nothing, e.g., can view blogs by others or can not view blogs by others.

Is there a way to do what I'm describing? i.e., anyone can view blogs designated public and no-one including moderators can view private blogs unless they are designated by the blog owner as having access.
    Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
    Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Moderators should follow moderator permissions, check Forums & Moderators > Show All Moderators.

Otherwise, permissions should come from the end users privacy settings.

Comment

• djbaxter
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
      Moderators should follow moderator permissions, check Forums & Moderators > Show All Moderators.

Otherwise, permissions should come from the end users privacy settings.
      This is vB 4.2.1. But my question is if I set permissions for moderators to NOT view b logs from other members:

1, does that mean they can't view the forum public blogs?

2. does that mean they CAN view others blogs if specified as a contact?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Did you set their MODERATOR permissions where I said to? That is what controls the moderator overrides.

Comment

• djbaxter
          • Aug 2006

I don't see anything in there about Blogs.

All my moderators are Super Moderators and none are appointed as blog moderators specifically. They have no editing or deleting permissions set in Blog Moderators yet they can still read private entries from members.

Additionally, if I set any usergroup to NOT view others' blogs, they can't even see my public blogs.

Using vB4.2.1
          Last edited by djbaxter; Sun 12 May '13, 6:07am.

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Bumping this:

I have played with all combinations of permissions that might be related to blogs at
            • AdminCP >> vBulletin Blog >> Blog Moderators
            • AdminCP >> Usergroups >> Super Moderators --> various blog permissions
            • AdminCP >> Forums & Moderators > Show All Moderators --> individual moderators permission

I can set it so that moderators and regular members can see ONLY their own blogs.

I can set it so that Super Moderators can see ALL blogs, public or private.

I can NOT set it so that moderators and regular members can see PUBLIC blogs but Not private blogs.

Comment

• djbaxter
              • Aug 2006

Bump

Comment

• djbaxter
                • Aug 2006

So is there no way to do what I've described above? This seems like a significant limitation to the vBulletin blogs.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Aside from the Blog Moderators that you give permissions to, Users control who can view and cannot view their blogs. They do this by going to their User Control Panel by clicking Settings in the top right corner. Next they would click on "Blog" in the left navigation. Finally they would edit their privacy under Permissions and Privacy. If they want to set it so only people on their contact list can view and reply they can. That is about as private is it gets though.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• djbaxter
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Aside from the Blog Moderators that you give permissions to, Users control who can view and cannot view their blogs. They do this by going to their User Control Panel by clicking Settings in the top right corner. Next they would click on "Blog" in the left navigation. Finally they would edit their privacy under Permissions and Privacy. If they want to set it so only people on their contact list can view and reply they can. That is about as private is it gets though.
                    No. Please read what I have written more carefully.

I have no blog moderators, only supermoderators.

1. I can set those supermoderators to be able to view blogs from other members, in which case they can view blogs even when the members has made the blog private and not given specific permission to the moderators to have access; OR

2. I can set it so supermoderators cannot view blogs from others, in which case they cannot even view public blogs.

I can find no combination that results in supermoderators being able to view public blogs but not private ones.

What you describe, Wayne, is logical and would be exactly the way I would expect it to work, BUT it simply does NOT work that way.

If you like, I can set you up with one or more accounts and a link to a blog that the member has made private and you can see it for yourself.

Comment

• djbaxter
                      • Aug 2006

Evidently, no one has an answer here. For anyone else with a similar question, see this thread over at vBulletin.org: Private Blogs: Permissions for Supermoderators where we continue to seek solutions.

It's becoming more apparent that very little thought went into blog permissions.

Comment