• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delxoz
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.7.x

Facebook connect button missing in IE

Hello,

I just noticed that facebook connect button is missing when I open my forum with IE. It doesnt matter which version, I tried all above 6... This probably started a month ago, Im not sure because i noticed it before 1 hour.. I updated to 4.2.1 and its still missing. From threads here I saw that it was problem from facebook end but last support answer was from January, now its end of April - dont tell me that its still not fixed... ??
  • yogesh
    • May 2005

Never saw it working in IE, as far as I can remember.
    Last edited by yogesh; Fri 19 Apr '13, 6:43pm.

Comment

• tbworld
      • Jan 2009

It use to work on vb4 in Internet explorer until facebook changed their javascript -- thus causing a javascript error. It would definately be nice if vbulletin would upgrade their code since they have it working in vb5 with internet explorer. I do not want to be negative to vb, since the team has already taken a pounding from the community and some of it is not fair, but since most of us cannot run vb5 at this point, even if we wanted too, it would be nice to have this particular functionality back in vb4 as a priority. I looked for the JIRA notice so I could point this out to everyone, unfortunately I could not find it after a lengthy search.

Comment

• tbworld
        • Jan 2009

Facebook fixed their code it appears and so this morning I modified the "vbulletin.facebook.js" accordingly. So far it works in IE8, IE9... too tired to test any more tonight / this morning. The fix took me 10 minutes after 40 minutes of studying the facebook code. I will post the patch after I do more testing tomorrow.

I just decided to take a look at it while I was watching a late movie.
        Last edited by tbworld; Sat 20 Apr '13, 2:40am.

Comment

• delxoz
          • Dec 2008
          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by tbworld
          Facebook fixed their code it appears and so this morning I modified the "vbulletin.facebook.js" accordingly. So far it works in IE8, IE9... too tired to test any more tonight / this morning. The fix took me 10 minutes after 40 minutes of studying the facebook code. I will post the patch after I do more testing tomorrow. I just decided to take a look at it while I was watching a late movie.

Thank you very much for the information It will be fantastic if you can share the fix, Ive solid percent of users visiting with IE and this is causing me troubles. I still cant figure out why VB team dont have any desire to fix this in 4th version since they found way to do it in new 5...

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

It's not no desire to fix, it is limited resources. Every fix someone wants may only take a short time to implement, but it also takes quite a bit QA time to test- and every fix can't be made at the same time. I believe the official fix is set to be in the next 4.x release.

Comment

• tbworld
              tbworld commented
              Editing a comment
              Could not agree more "Joe D", it was relatively easy for me to fix the problem now for my own users / server, I have limited variables to work with. I guarantee as soon as I released a temporary fix -- reports might come in that it will not work for a particular server / client setup. Testing is tough at the level vbulletin has to keep the software at and I for one appreciate the extra time given.

I was a little worried it was off the radar. Now I know it is not. Thanks for replying.
          • Caseycase
            • Mar 2013
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by tbworld
            Facebook fixed their code it appears and so this morning I modified the "vbulletin.facebook.js" accordingly. So far it works in IE8, IE9... too tired to test any more tonight / this morning. The fix took me 10 minutes after 40 minutes of studying the facebook code. I will post the patch after I do more testing tomorrow. I just decided to take a look at it while I was watching a late movie.
            Hi,
            Did you manage testing the fix? I implemented a fix for i.e. for 10 4.2.0 that was posted in another thread, however upgrading to 4.2.1 on my test instance has resulted in vbulletin.facebook.js changing, so I can't see where the fix would now go. Any help would be appreciated as the connect button won't display.

Comment

• MikeF
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Joe D.
              It's not no desire to fix, it is limited resources. Every fix someone wants may only take a short time to implement, but it also takes quite a bit QA time to test- and every fix can't be made at the same time. I believe the official fix is set to be in the next 4.x release.
              When something is completely broken, the QA time for the fix should be minimal - and only to ensure that other features are not inadvertently broken or changed by the new code. This feature has now been broken for over a year and has repeatedly been blamed on Facebook, while Facebook continues to publish their roadmap for API and code changes to developers months in advance.

This is not a Facebook, JavaScript, or Internet Explorer problem. It is a vBulletin 4 problem.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MikeF
                Originally posted by Joe D.
                When something is completely broken, the QA time for the fix should be minimal - and only to ensure that other features are not inadvertently broken or changed by the new code.
                That is precisely the time consuming step.

Comment

• forexcurrencytrades1
                  • Sep 2011
                  • 4.1.x

Has this been resolved yet? I added a Twitter button to follow my page on Twitter and now the Facebook Connect button will not show in Internet Explorer. I reversed everything I did and it still won't show up in internet explorer. It shows up in Firefox, Chrome, etc but will not show in Internet Explorer. Does anyone have a solution to this? It is hard to believe that this has been going on for this long without a solution......please help. thanks.
                  a

Comment

• XGC Viper XI
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 5.5.x

Need to look at the like buttons as well. They do not show up in IE 10 at all. Works in Firefox.

Comment