X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karlm
    • Jun 2006
    • 5.3.x

4.2 is last version of a $250 product?

I haven't logged in here for a while, but just thought I'd drop in to see what new versions were going and was surprised to see we're now on VB5 instead of an anticipated 4.3.x. When I bought this as a 3x product it went into several revisions. I upgraded with the $250 (if memory serves) to the vb4 release in anticipation of a similar number of releases.. Now for that kind of money as oppose the $30 annual renewal of old, you'd expect a bit more than only 2 revisions with minor tweaks inbetween.

Bring back the old format where people paid for upgrades as they were needed, not this system where you're forced to pay for (what is the equivalent of) 8yrs of updates ($240) only to receive only 2 updates for.

It's my opinion that this is the kind money-grabbing big-business mentality that has caused so many otherwise loyal customers (and staff) to leave VB. I for one shall not be buying V5 for $250 only to see 2 updates with tweaks like what happened with vb4.

I work in the care field on minimal pay (literally, I am on the legal minimal wage allowed)... I cannot afford to pull together $250 in one bulk payment, but the $30 renewal was manageable & affordable.

This new system of forcing customers to pay ahead for a product that is 'forgotten' about is just not acceptable & borders fraudulent behaviours.
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

A license does not pay for a specific number of revisions, and never has.

3.8.7 is the latest version of that branch.
    4.2.0 is the latest version of that branch.
    5.0.1 is the latest version of that branch.

A vB5 license will allow use of any one of these.
    Last edited by Mark.B; Sun 7 Apr '13, 6:34am.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• karlm
      • Jun 2006
      • 5.3.x

Really, because when I bought the vb4 license - I was definitely under the impression it was for the 4.x and below only and that a new license for 5+ would be required. So you're saying VB5 can be downloaded by me with my VB4 license?

If I've misunderstood and am ranting unnecessarily, I apologise - and ask if conditions were changed at some point which escaped my notice?
      No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by karlm
        Really, because when I bought the vb4 license - I was definitely under the impression it was for the 4.x and below only and that a new license for 5+ would be required. So you're saying VB5 can be downloaded by me with my VB4 license? If I've misunderstood and am ranting unnecessarily, I apologise - and ask if conditions were changed at some point which escaped my notice?
        No, if you have a vB4 license it's vB4 and below;
        A vb5 license is vB5 and below.

The current license scheme allows use of the version you paid for OR anything below it.

But, you can use any of those versions for life; so if your license is vb4 you can use vB4 forever, including any updates that are released.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• durruti
          • Jan 2012
          • 4.1.x

You need to upgrade ($209) before you can use VB5.

PS:
          Read around more before making a decision.
          An informed decision is always the best.

Add:
          To be fair, I also own VB4 Suite and VB5 licenses if you're wondering.

Edit:
          Just realize that you may not have access to VB5 section.
          In that case, you can ask the opinion of anyone who you perceive to be non-bias and own VB5.

Good luck.
          Last edited by durruti; Sun 7 Apr '13, 6:45am.

Comment

• karlm
            • Jun 2006
            • 5.3.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            No, if you have a vB4 license it's vB4 and below; A vb5 license is vB5 and below. The current license scheme allows use of the version you paid for OR anything below it. But, you can use any of those versions for life; so if your license is vb4 you can use vB4 forever, including any updates that are released.
            Right, so I was right.. Thanks for clarifying.

When I first bought VB, it was on release VB3.4 if memory serves. It was an affordable purchase (I think about $120 or so) and you had the 'option' to upgrade with an annual $30 fee. If you couldn't afford it - you didn't have to stop using VB, you just couldn't upgrade it at that time.

In short, the licence has always been for life - with the single exception of those who leased annual licences in the days gone by. I'm not sure if you're trying to plant the idea that the 'license for life' is a new process unique to VB4.x.. if so, that's underhanded as it existed since I bought my first license.

When VB introduced the payment method of prepaying $250 for all future updates, an uproar ensued by people who were concerned you'd do one or two updates then forget about it. You went on to point to other releases of VB (3.8.x etc.) and said "look, we'll always give lots n lots of updates per product". I trusted that to be true. However, having taken payments for the separate blog then not discounting that from the new license structure should have been a warning for me.

Are you saying that 4.2 is NOT the last release for this series though? If so, it's not 'as bad' as I thought then.. but still, it would be good if you could focus on one product at a time instead of jumping into new ones. The reduction of less than 1/5 for an upgrade is still a rip-off for those of us who have already paid once only to be told the new model is out and we have to pay again already. $150 would be tempting, but $209 just seems like an insult when my licensed product (vb4.x) is being cast-aside so soon.
            No Addons - none at all.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

There was never any promise for "lots n lots of updates per product". It's always been "all future updates to that branch".

vB4 development is still ongoing so yes there will be more to come. Don't know when, but development on the branch has not ceased.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• Dave B
                Dave B commented
                Editing a comment
                VB:
                "but development on the branch has not ceased "

The Eagles
                "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation",
            • Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

That's not true.

If you actually bought a vB4 license, you have access to all updates.

Your license is an old vB3 license. You just bought the maintenance pack. That was designed to give you access to the latest version of vB3.
              It also gave you access to the then current version if vB4, but it is not a vB4 license.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                • Jul 2008

There was never a VB 3.4.... it skipped from 3.0 right to 3.5, that is the only reason 3.x ended so high (at 3.8) There was really only 4 major revisions of 3.x, not 8.

When VB 4.x started they abandoned the version numbering we were used to otherwise the new editor on VB 4.1.4 could well have been 4.2.0 under the old numbering (which we since went back to)

Also the 4.x forum license you purchased was only $195, not $250. That is a lot closer to what you would have paid with $30 renewals, not even figuring prices go up over time in general.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

No one who has a VB4 license needs the $30 renewal because all VB4 licenses are for life, like VB5 licenses are.

VB3 owners were given a chance to upgrade to 3.8.7 for $30 to $50 but it was a limited time offer, I do not know if we will see it again.

Comment