How to disable blogs completely for certain user groups?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpuls
    • Mar 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Blog] How to disable blogs completely for certain user groups?

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my site to v 4.1.5 PL1, and I want to restrict the blogs feature to just Admin and Mods. (Basically I don't have time to set it up right now and I want to make sure no one is messing with it till I'm ready to test it properly.)

I've gone into
    • usergroup manager for my registered users and I've set every single blog option to No.
    • vBulletin Options-->vBulletin Blog: General Options and set "Blog This Post" to No
    The "Blog this post" is gone (thankfully), but if the user goes into their profile, they still see a link at left that says "View Blog Entries". Clicking on that takes them to a screen where they can... Create A New Blog Post. What the heck?

What else do I need to turn off to disable blogging? And why is there no global flag to enable or disable blogs by usergroup?
    Ken Puls, CMA, MS MVP (Excel)
    Excelguru.ca
  • TheNewOne
    • Aug 2011

In vBulletin Blog: General Options try unchecking Permissions and Privacy
    not sure if it will help but worth a try it might stop others that you want seeing it not let them

Comment

• kpuls
      • Mar 2011
      • 4.1.x

Hey, thanks for trying on help. Unless I misread that part, that's just for configuring the default options... But I've already shut off all those permissions in the usergroup, and they can still get to their blog as mentioned above. Something isn't right there...
      Excelguru.ca

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

This is done in the Usergroups just edit the usergroups that you do not want to create a Blog and set the following option to No 'Can Post New Blog Entries' that usergroup has then no right to post a blog.

Comment

• kpuls
          • Mar 2011
          • 4.1.x

Right, except that I already did this... in fact, I set all blog permissions to nothing for this user group and yet they can still blog. It's starting to sound like a bug to me.
          Excelguru.ca

Comment

• ximcix
            • May 2004

I'd like to be able to just create a usergroup called "Bloggers" & select members in other usergroups who i'd like to be able to create blogs.
            Thought it would be as simple as creating a bloggers usergroup & giving them permissions, then making the people i'd like to be able to blog, secondary members. but apparently not.

Comment

• kpuls
              • Mar 2011
              • 4.1.x

Exactly... so that the blogs can be read by the public, but so that they can only be written by trusted individuals. That's what I'll ultimately be after as well.
              Excelguru.ca

Comment

• we_are_borg
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.X

If i change 'Can Post New Blog Entries' on my test forum for the Administrators usergroup i can't make a blog post. If you change the sections Blog General Permissions, Blog Styling Permissions and Blog Entry Permissions all to no and leave Blog Comment Permissions alone people can comment on some one else blog. If this do not work you have a bug i advice you then to disable all plugins and trough the config.php and use the default style and then retry again.

Comment