X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palmpedia
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

Can't Stop New Registrations

I thought I had a problem with spammers cracking my Question and Answer challenge when registering - so I turned off new registrations altogether. But I continue to get email notifications of new people registering - and they are apparently getting member numbers as well. I have to screen them before they are admitted, but what is going on here? I can't even stop the spammers from registering even when I have new registrations turned off.

I have this setting set to "yes" - is that correct? Using 4.3.1

"If you would like to temporarily (or permanently) prevent anyone new from registering, you can do so. Anyone attempting to register will be told that you are not accepting new registrations at this time." ----- Yes
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

What do you mean you're using 4.3.1? That isn't a valid version.

Comment

• palmpedia
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

Sorry - my mistake - It's 4.1.3 PL 5

I have registrations turned off. There is no way for someone to register - it states that the Board is not accepting new registrations, but they keep pouring in.

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options -> Allow New User Registrations is set to no?
        No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

Are you absolutely sure these weren't accounts made days/weeks earlier that have just been activated recently?

To be sure check the Join date/time for these users in the Admin CP.

If you truly have a user with a join date after you turned off registration please open a support ticket.

Comment

• palmpedia
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.6.x

Yes - I set Allow New User Registration to "no" and these new registrations coming in at 50 per day are new. They are not able to post because I have the 'verify first" setting also activated. But they are "Awaiting Authorization."

The support team will not support 4.1.3 - and for various reasons I do not wish to upgrade at the moment.

Apparently they are able to bypass the registration process. Because when I try to register as a "new" member it says "Sorry, we are not accepting registrations at this time."

Any ideas???

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

I see you have 2 threads now with the same issue.

Biggest problem is you are using 4.1.3 PL5. That is 3 patches behind, 4.1.3 is up to patch level 8 right now. You need to install the latest patch. Patches don't break styles, they just fix security holes. It is possible a security hole exists allowing for the bypass of registrations. But PL8 should protect from this if it is indeed a vBulletin exploit. It is also possible the exploit is from 3rd party modifications.

Comment

• palmpedia
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.6.x

I understand - but as I feared I went ahead and upgraded. Even paid to have the Professional Upgrade done. And now my forum hangs and despite considerable effort from vB support and from my web host, no one can help me find the cause.

Comment

• Hartmut
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 4.2.x

Hi, if something went wrong with the upgrade then please talk to the colleague who did the upgrade so that he has a chance to help you.
                  No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• pjaco
                    • Jul 2008

Hmm.I have the same problem.Today i got 150 mail With New registration and i have disablet New People to registrer...too much spamrobots every day. I an running the latest Version.(Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 ) I dont understand how thet they can registrer when it is disablet..I had the same problem before latest Upgrade too.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by pjaco
                      Hmm.I have the same problem.Today i got 150 mail With New registration and i have disablet New People to registrer...too much spamrobots every day. I an running the latest Version.(Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 ) I dont understand how thet they can registrer when it is disablet..I had the same problem before latest Upgrade too.

Emails are queued by default in 4.X and if you get a lot of emails queued, they can take days if not weeks to deliver depending on your settings. As such, receiving emails isn't actually a good indicator of when someone registered. You would have to look at their registration date on their profile. If you have third-party apps and things like Facebook Connect enabled, these may override your registration settings as well.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• palmpedia
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Hartmut
                        Hi, if something went wrong with the upgrade then please talk to the colleague who did the upgrade so that he has a chance to help you.
                        I have - but we haven't been able to resolve.

Comment