X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary_
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Color glitch and email notifications not working anymore

I apologize if putting 2 problems into one thread isn't preferred, I figured it'd be easier/faster to get a reply to both this way.

The first problem - I just encountered a color glitch as I was going onto the activity stream: http://prntscr.com/yxp0i Any idea what caused this and how to resolve it?

The second problem - None of my new members get their email notifications anymore. I have checked and it is activated, but all new members I have to manually activate their accounts now. How do I resolve this to make it go back to working automatically?
  • supergaijin
    • Apr 2013
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Gary_
    I apologize if putting 2 problems into one thread isn't preferred, I figured it'd be easier/faster to get a reply to both this way. The first problem - I just encountered a color glitch as I was going onto the activity stream: [URL="http://prntscr.com/yxp0i"]http://prntscr.com/yxp0i[/URL="http://prntscr.com/yxp0i"] Any idea what caused this and how to resolve it? The second problem - None of my new members get their email notifications anymore. I have checked and it is activated, but all new members I have to manually activate their accounts now. How do I resolve this to make it go back to working automatically?
    Is your ISP possibly blocking outgoing mail as spam? Charter internet here will randomly decide outgoing emails using their SMTP servers are spam and block them for no legitimate reason. We just switched to our own SMTP server to eliminate the issue. sbc/pac bell/yahoo have done something similar.

Comment

• Gary_
      • Oct 2012
      • 4.2.X

I don't believe the ISP is blocking it. How would I go about checking that though?

Comment

• supergaijin
        • Apr 2013
        • 4.2.X

I don't believe the ISP is blocking it. How would I go about checking that though?
        Change the SMTP server you're using for outgoing mail and try to send one. If it gets through, there's blocking going on at your default SMTP server.

Comment

• Gary_
          • Oct 2012
          • 4.2.X

I am somewhat new to SMTP servers... how would I change mine from the default?

Comment

• supergaijin
            • Apr 2013
            • 4.2.X

I am somewhat new to SMTP servers... how would I change mine from the default?
            Having my own problems getting a clean install of 4.2 done right now, so I can't check to tell you exactly where, but this should get you in the right area:

Last edited by supergaijin; Tue 2 Apr '13, 3:06pm.

Comment

• Gary_
              • Oct 2012
              • 4.2.X

Found it, right now it is saying that I don't have SMTP set up at all. So the default PHP configuration is what I am using right now.

Comment

• supergaijin
                • Apr 2013
                • 4.2.X

Found it, right now it is saying that I don't have SMTP set up at all. So the default PHP configuration is what I am using right now.
                That page says that setup can be problematic in certain situations. Try using an SMTP server (save the default settings so you can put if back, though!) and see if it fixes your issue.

Comment

• Gary_
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 4.2.X

I noticed that. Okay, so to use a SMTP info, where would I acquire the necessary info for the Options section in the ACP to set up a SMTP server on the forum and test it? Do I need to set something up in the Host cPanel?

Comment

• supergaijin
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 4.2.X

I noticed that. Okay, so to use a SMTP info, where would I acquire the necessary info for the Options section in the ACP to set up a SMTP server on the forum and test it? Do I need to set something up in the Host cPanel?
                    That's somewhat host specific. Just ask your host what the SMTP setting are for your hosting package, or if you even have SMTP included in your hosting.

Comment

• Gary_
                      • Oct 2012
                      • 4.2.X

Okay, I will ask them and set up a SMTP server for the mail instead of the default PHP configuration, thanks a lot for your help! Do you happen to have any ideas about the first problem in the original post (about the style issue)?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...