AJAX seems broken (edit post, reply etc)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Coates
    • Mar 2013
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] AJAX seems broken (edit post, reply etc)

Hey,

I've got a fresh install of 4.2.0 PL3 that I've been importing threads into externally. It has no plugins or changes apart from a style (but the issue remains even if I choose the default style).

Basically it seems any AJAX query like Edit Post, Reply, Reply With Quote etc just hang. When I click the links the AJAX spinner shows, but nothing happens (I've waited over an hour and still nothing).

All other functionality appears fine.

Edit: Ok doing some digging it looks like this could be related to the advanced rewrite url option. It's making a request for ajax.php but from a relative path (which when viewing a post is /threads/x-xxxxx etc), so instead of requesting /ajax.php it's requesting /threads/ajax.php, which doesn't exist and due to rewrite rules gets treated as a showthread.php request and obviously not the response the client is after.
    Last edited by Andy Coates; Tue 2 Apr '13, 8:49am. Reason: Updated to reflect correct path - /threads
  • Andy Coates
    • Mar 2013
    • 4.2.X

No one has any ideas? It surely must affect all 4.2 forums that use advanced rewrite friendly URLs? (which is why I'm surprised I can't find any other posts on it).

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
      • Jul 2008

Are you using Advanced Friendly URLs or Mod-Rewrite URLs? In your edit you tal about /thread/ but I've never seen /thread/ used in Advanced Friendly URLs. It is used in Mod-Rewrite URLs however.

Comment

• Andy Coates
        • Mar 2013
        • 4.2.X

Sorry the names all sound familiar - it's the rewrite one: Mod Rewrite Friendly URLs

Comment

• tim.liton
          • Dec 2012

If you have still this issue i recommand to reupload all clientscript files. I head the same issue and worked for me.

Comment

• Andy Coates
            • Mar 2013
            • 4.2.X

I'll go it a go but I'm not sure how that would change how vBulletin references ajax.php from a relative path - that would be a coding issue.

Comment

• Andy Coates
              • Mar 2013
              • 4.2.X

I copied the files again but issue remains.

Comment

• Hartmut
                • Nov 2007
                • 4.2.x

Does AJAX properly work when you choose Basic Friendly URLs for the URL Type under AdminCP -> Settings -> Options -> Friendly URLs
                No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• Andy Coates
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 4.2.X

Yes, every other option works fine, it's just the rewrite one (which makes sense because it's only the rewrite one that adds the /threads/ path).

Comment

• Hartmut
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 4.2.x

If you think that this is a bug - and like you describe that, it is - please start a report in JIRA: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Then it can get fixed for version 4.2.1

Comment

• Andy Coates
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 4.2.X

What I can't understand though is that this would affect many people, but I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. Do you have a local 4.2.0 PL3 you can test it on to make sure it's not something else causing it?

Comment

• Hartmut
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 4.2.x

Did you (global in config.php) disable all modifications and plugins yet and then try it with the default style?

Comment

• Andy Coates
                          • Mar 2013
                          • 4.2.X

If you mean:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Yes I just tried that, and used the default style, but it still happens. I haven't installed any plugins anyway, it's a fresh board.

Comment

• Andy Coates
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 4.2.X

Fixed this myself changing the source code (still not sure if its an undesired effect of a setting somewhere).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...