• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickreid
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.0.x

vBulletin 4.1.9 infected with malware

Hi,

My site has been blocked by Google for over 24 hours for malware. Google webmaster tools show javascript being randomly inserted into certain pages. I have downloaded and searched every single php/html file for this code and it is not present in the actual files. I have searched all styles and it is not present in any of the stored templates.

The Javascript has not embedded itself in any page I have refreshed so far, it seems to only insert itself once every several thousand page impressions and with 200,000 threads on my site Google is finding 3 or 4 instances of it every time I ask it to rescan - so I can not tell which template/hook is delivering it and Google does not give me the html of where it has found the insert. When loading the pages that Google see's as infected from Google's point of view (in webmaster tools) those pages are no longer infected, it seems to only randomly insert itself using one of the global includes.

I have reverted to a database backup from the 25th March as a temporary situation - but can anyone advise me on how to search my most recent database or possibly find out where this data has been inserted?
  • Hartmut
    • Nov 2007
    • 4.2.x

To check a site for compromises follow these steps:

1) Run Suspect File Diagnostics under Maintenance -> Diagnostics. Replace any files not containing the expected contents. Delete any files that are not part of vBulletin and that you can't identify as belonging to your addons.

2) Check the config.php for any suspicious code. It isn't checked by the suspect file diagnostic.

3) Search all templates for iframe tags. They should only appear in the following templates: bbcode_video, editor-ie.css, member.css, stylegenerator.css, vbcms.css, vbulletin.css, help_bbcodes, humanverify_recaptcha, search_common, and search_common_select_type

4) Check all your plugins for rogue include, require, include_once, or require_once code. All files should come from your server and be known to you. See step #7

5) Check your plugins for any base64 code. I recommend using against using any plugins or products that include base64 code in them. However some "lite" or branded addons will include this as a means to prevent you from cheating the author. You'll have to make a personal call on these if you use them. This is often a sign of a hacked site.

6) Make sure that your plugins do not include calls to exec(), system(), or pass_thru() or iframes. These are also often signs of a hacked site.

The following query can be run in phpMyAdmin and will provide results for steps 5 and 6 -
    SELECT title, phpcode, hookname, product FROM plugin WHERE phpcode LIKE '%base64%' OR phpcode LIKE '%exec%' OR phpcode LIKE '%system%' OR phpcode like '%pass_thru%' OR phpcode like '%iframe%';

If you a plugin that you can't read or the code is obfuscated then you should probably contact the addon author. If it is assigned to the vBulletin, vBulletin CMS, vBulletin Blog or Skimlink products, delete it.

7) Using PHPMyAdmin run this query: SELECT styleid, title, template FROM template WHERE template LIKE '%base64%' OR template LIKE '%exec%' OR template LIKE '%system%' OR template like '%pass_thru%' OR template like '%iframe%';

It checks the templates for compromising code. You will need to review the results from this. If you can't read it or the code is obfuscated then you should revert the template in the Admin CP.

8) Check .htaccess to make sure there are no redirects there.

9) Check all plugins in reference to cache or cookies. If they are similar to any of the above, delete them.
    No private support, only PM me when I ask for it. Support in the forums only.

Comment

• mickreid
      • Jan 2011
      • 4.0.x

I can't seem to find anything using the above methods. I'm pretty sure it has to be in the database somewhere since none of the website files contain the error (and I wrote over all existing files with 4.1.9 patch 4 to make sure none were modified).

I don't suppose there is any clever way to loop through each database table and search each string column for the offending domain?

Comment

• Hartmut
        • Nov 2007
        • 4.2.x

A chance would be trying this modification: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=265866

Please keep in mind that we officially don't support modifications, so you would have to post questions concerning this mod in the specific thread on vbulletin.org or get in touch with the author directly.

Comment

• stevectaylor
          • Aug 2007
          • 3.6.x

Do you have VBSEO?
          Holiday Forum
          Motor Car Forum
          Political Forum
          Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• Hartmut
            • Nov 2007
            • 4.2.x

Then the infection would be in the database itself and the latest stable version of vBSEO should be installed.

Comment

• stevectaylor
              • Aug 2007
              • 3.6.x

We had a similar thing which Google flaged up, which was an injection to the datastore thorugh the mysql with VBSEO

Holiday Forum
              Motor Car Forum
              Political Forum
              Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• mickreid
                • Jan 2011
                • 4.0.x

Thanks for the advice, trying the hack product now. I don't have VBSEO installed.

Comment

• stevectaylor
                  • Aug 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Whats your url Mick
                  Holiday Forum
                  Motor Car Forum
                  Political Forum
                  Web Hosting Forum

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                    • Jul 2008

Use the full database search in phpmyadmin to search the infected database for: base64

If you find it anywhere in the database record where it is if it is anywhere in the templates table it's probably the exploit you are looking for. If it a plugin it is likely the problem but there are a couple of legit plugins that use base64 encoding, but only 2 I can think of out of the hundreds I've ever seen. One is the plugin that scans for base64 and the other is by digitalpoint, he encoded a small graphic rather than include it as a separate file for performance reasons I suppose.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...