• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Streetgliderx
    • Jun 2010

[Forum] i just got the weirdest e-mail from my forum

Re: Happy Birthday from Chevy K5 Blazer
    Sent By:
    "Stupid Russian Criminal Spammer" <[email protected]> On: Aug 08/14/11 1:03 AM
    To: "\"Chevy K5 Blazer\"" <[email protected]>
    Reply to: "snovikofff autoreply" [email protected]

Auto-Response: Do not auto-approve this forum account, it was created by a forum spammer.

You're receiving this message because your forum software is still allowing a user to complete the first part of registration to your forum with an easy password. This is an auto-response to your forum's confirmation message. That means your security settings are way too low on your forum, even if you are manually approving new accounts.

The account which created this forum account did so using automated means. The reason was so that he could post a forum account and then use it to automatically post thousands of fake messages to your forum to promote some form of ridiculous product there.

In all likelihood your website has nothing to do with whatever this idiot is promoting, but in any case you definitely do not want to be promoting this scumbag's websites.

Delete this account, and any other account tied to the email address which sent you this automated response.

The way to prevent this activity from continuing is to make all new registrations require a more complex, secure password. Increase the required length and make sure it requires uppercase, lowercase and punctuation characters. Do not allow automated self-registration of new accounts. If you've been getting a lot of messages like the one you're reading now, that means your forum is still far too easy to register at, even if you manually approve the accounts.

Apologies for any further inconveniences this message causes.

Sincerely,

Random Digilante

I decided to do something about Forum Spammers. I am an anonymous admin of several online forums, and I am sick of seeing so many criminal registrations of fake accounts for the purposes of spamming my forums. If you are a forum spammer, I am your worst nightmare.

Can anyone tell me why this came thru my forum e-mail and what i can do? i have my forum setup on a question and answer for registration and also for confirmation e-mail activation,.... this came as a reply to the auto birthday programming?
  • Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

It is a auto reply to your forums birthday mail. If you don't have any issues in your forum regarding spam bots delete and forget this account. No reason to worry about.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Mr. Digilante is going to save us from the spammers.
      To date I have taken over a total of 70 email accounts for this purpose,

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• setishock
        • Jun 2005
        • 4.2.x

It's a spammer that signed up using one of the e-mail accounts he hijacked. He's no better than the spammer scum that drives us crazy.

Comment

• setishock
          • Jun 2005
          • 4.2.x

He's broken a few laws himself doing that.

Comment

• Streetgliderx
            • Jun 2010

no issues on the forum,... thanks fellas!!!

Comment