Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ipscone
    • Jul 2002

[CMS] Resized YouTube Videos in Articles

There was an example of how to embed a YouTube video in an article. But I deleted it before I took much note of how it was done. But the fact the video was a thumbnail in the Front Page, for sure tells me it's possible. But reading the forums, some say you can't get thumbnails of YouTube in the prevue on the Front Page. If that's so, why was it working after I installed it, in the canned articles that came with the CMS software?

The style variable vbcms_article_preview_object_size is set to 206 x 170 but it displays full size. Why does it not display this size instead of full size?

I don't need to know how to embed a video. What I would like to know, is how YouTube videos are embedded so the article showed a small video (thumbnail), instead of the full size video, in the Front Page summary of articles. I do see a "fullsize" option but when I say "no" it's still full size. So I must be missing something.

How do I embed a YouTube video, but have the image in the article summary show up as a small image, instead of a full sized video, like the example article had? I only want the video to be full size, when someone expands the article.
    Last edited by ipscone; Thu 11 Aug '11, 7:36pm.
  • ipscone
    • Jul 2002

hmmm... nobody with a solution to this problem?

Comment

• ipscone
      • Jul 2002

Surely someone has the solution to my problem. When I first installed by vb CMS 4.1.5, there was an example of a youtube video that was showing a small thumbnail in the summare. And vBulletin's "What's New" site does the same. But after I tried adding an artilcle, the thumbnails were't there I only get large videos

vBulletin Example site showing thumbnail videos. They run in the small window. But run larger when article is selected.

My Site (See attachment). The videos are large; not thumbnails.

How does one get Youtube videos to display as thumbnails in articles. Clearly it's possible because they are on vBulletin's site
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ipscone; Sat 13 Aug '11, 7:06am.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

To embed a video, click the little video tag and enter the url to the video. It is the one that looks like the film strip (right before the quote icon).

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• ipscone
          • Jul 2002

Duh! No offense, I'm sure you mean well but that's exactly what I did and exactly why I'm writing. When I click the Video icon, and insert my YouTube videos, they come out large in the summary page.

I'm trying to find out why that happens. They should be small thumbnails, just like on vBulletin. There must be something else that's required or something I'm missing. BTW, I've seen other post the same thing and never get an answer.

Comment

• Hawk2
            • Apr 2008
            • 4.1.x

edit that cms post and find this set it to no Full Display in Section Page

Comment

• ipscone
              • Jul 2002

They are all set to "No". That appears to be the default and I didn't change it. I selected "Yes" and then set it back to "No" to make sure it's "NO". Still displaying full size videos. This is very strange, since the first video that came with the installation, was displaying as a thumbnail. AlL new videos added, display full size, in sections, on the Front Page.

The links are entered like this (first bracked italicized to show the link instead of the video):

[video=youtube;opAJtwyujvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAJtwyujvo&feature=relmfu[/video]

The object size in stylvars is set to 206 x 170. Full Display in Sections is set to no.
              Last edited by ipscone; Sat 13 Aug '11, 8:17am.

Comment

• markwein
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ipscone
                They are all set to "No". That appears to be the default and I didn't change it. I selected "Yes" and then set it back to "No" to make sure it's "NO". Still displaying full size videos. This is very strange, since the first video that came with the installation, was displaying as a thumbnail. AlL new videos added, display full size, in sections, on the Front Page.
                I'm having a similar issue and also have my own thread on it. You're not the only person with this problem. Hopefully we'll figure it out.
                MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Comment

• ipscone
                  • Jul 2002

I saw it. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

What is strange is that vBulletin doesn't even have an answer to this question.
                  Last edited by ipscone; Sat 13 Aug '11, 8:43am.

Comment

• Janmaat
                    • Mar 2008

Videos will show up only as link in my Forum, cause I have disabled [IMG] tag.

Is there a possibility that one day [video] and [img] will not be associated anymore?

Comment

• ipscone
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Janmaat
                      Videos will show up only as link in my Forum, cause I have disabled [IMG] tag.

Is there a possibility that one day [video] and [img] will not be associated anymore?
                      What does that have to do with this thread subject? I will add that my images resize perfectly in the summary (Front Page). It's just that my videos don't.
                      Last edited by ipscone; Sat 13 Aug '11, 9:01am.

Comment

• markwein
                        • Feb 2009

I saw it. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

What is strange is that vBulletin doesn't even have an answer to this question.
                        Yeah...I didn't want to hijack yours either but I wanted to mention that I was also having the issue. I hope there is a fix quick because the CMS is very important to my business and right now my front page looks like garbage.
                        MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Comment

• ipscone
                          • Jul 2002

I viewed the source for what is diplayed on vBulleting site and compared it to what is displayed on my front page and I notice a difference but don't know why the difference.

My site shows for the video.
                          Code:
                          <div class="fullwidth article_preview_contents showpreviewonly restore">

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/opAJtwyujvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                          On vBulletin, a similar article with embedded video shows like this.
                          Code:

<object class="restrain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385" data="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]">
                          <param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]" />
                          <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
                          <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
                          <!--[if IE 6]>
                          <embed width="640" height="385" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]" allowfullscreen="true" />
                          <![endif]--></object>
                          Perhaps this is a clue. Mine shows an iFrame vb shows an object. Does this help anyone understand why my videos aren't showing up as a thumbnail?

1) Does the default (original vB installation) allow resized videos?
                          2) Does resized videos only come with add-ons to base vB CMS?
                          Last edited by ipscone; Sat 13 Aug '11, 9:35am.

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

OK, I just tried this on my test site, and I think there is a bug because my old videos are showing as thumbnails, but the one I just added is not. Let me make a bug report and then I will post the link here and you guys may add comments to it.

Meanwhile, add this to your additional.css file:
                            HTML Code:
                            .showpreviewonly iframe {
                                {vb:stylevar vbcms_article_preview_object_size};
                            }
                            There is already a bug report here - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12872
                            Last edited by Lynne; Sat 13 Aug '11, 9:35am.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Hawk2
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 4.1.x

I viewed the source for what is diplayed on vBulleting site and compared it to what is displayed on my front page and I notice a difference but don't know why the difference.

My site shows for the video.
                              Code:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/opAJtwyujvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                              On vBulletin, a similar article with embedded video shows like this.
                              Code:

<object class="restrain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="385" data="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]">
                              <param name="movie" value="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]" />
                              <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
                              <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
                              <!--[if IE 6]>
                              <embed width="640" height="385" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/YflWUoV9p3A?version=3&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;feature=player_embedded[/URL]" allowfullscreen="true" />
                              <![endif]--></object>
                              Perhaps this is a clue. Mine shows an iFrame vb shows an object. Does this help anyone understand why my videos aren't showing up as a thumbnail?
                              have you tried looking at your code to see where the problem is

Comment