X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonlitka
    • Mar 2006
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] Attachment upload doesn't work, no errors anywhere

I've got a problem that showed up a couple days ago and I can't for the life of me figure it out. The site is running 4.1.3PL3, httpd 2.2.16, php 5.3.6, mysql 5.1.57.

Anyway, here goes. When uploading a file to the forum, the upload form chugs along like it's processing the file, then when it would normally show at the bottom of the form with a link to click to view, the page refreshes like nothing was done at all. There is no error output on the screen or in the httpd error logs. A scan of the attachments folder shows that a file was uploaded, and directly accessing the .attach file from a browser lets you download it without issue. Attempting to create an attachment.php link with the ID & datestamp in 'attachments' results in an "invalid..." message. A glance at the 'filedata' table shows that no data is being inserted there which explains why the attempt at generating an attachments.php link failed.

The vB file version check does not report any modified files and the only unknowns are from the few plugins we have. I have tried reverting to the stock theme as well as disabling the plugin system (we only have a few plugins to start with, this is a more or less stock site as it is used for internal notifications and collaboration).

Can anyone give me some thoughts on where I might go from here?
    Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > upload and see what the results are there.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Andy
      • Jan 2002
      • 4.1.x

Sounds like you're using the Asset Manager. Try using the Basic Attachment Manager and see if it works properly.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Attachment Options -> Asset Manager - Enable -> No

Comment

• jasonlitka
        • Mar 2006
        • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Lynne
        Go to Maintenance > Diagnostics > upload and see what the results are there.
        Works fine.

Originally posted by Andy
        Sounds like you're using the Asset Manager. Try using the Basic Attachment Manager and see if it works properly.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Message Attachment Options -> Asset Manager - Enable -> No
        That was the first thing I disabled, no difference, no output messages.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

If you enable the Asset Manager, when you upload, does it give you a red ! icon? If so, what is the error message when you hover over it?

It may also be worth having a look at your server error logs to see if anything's written to them at the time
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• jasonlitka
            • Mar 2006
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
            If you enable the Asset Manager, when you upload, does it give you a red ! icon? If so, what is the error message when you hover over it?

It may also be worth having a look at your server error logs to see if anything's written to them at the time
            There is no error message or icon on the screen using either the classic attachment form or the asset manager. There is nothing in the httpd error logs.

Comment

• Andy
              • Jan 2002
              • 4.1.x

Try repairing your filedata table.

Run suspect file versions:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Comment

• jasonlitka
                • Mar 2006
                • 4.0.x

Try repairing your filedata table.

Run suspect file versions:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions
                No modified files, only unknown files are from the few plugins we have (which I already tried disabling).

I already tried checking, repairing, and optimizing the filedata table, no good.

Comment

• Andy
                  • Jan 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Is this on a shared or dedicated server?

Comment

• jasonlitka
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 4.0.x

The hosting platform is controlled by me but is used to host multiple corporate sites (vhosts). To call it a "server" is not accurate. There are 8 load-balanced web nodes, 1 MySQL, and 1 for storage via NFS.

Comment

• Andy
                      • Jan 2002
                      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by jasonlitka
                      The hosting platform is controlled by me but is used to host multiple corporate sites (vhosts). To call it a "server" is not accurate. There are 8 load-balanced web nodes, 1 MySQL, and 1 for storage via NFS.
                      Is this a very large forum you run?

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

Do you have any size limitations of either database size or disk space that you may be running into?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• jasonlitka
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 4.0.x

Is this a very large forum you run?
                          No, it's primarily used for collaboration inside the company. Most of the servers are for other apps. We just run a unified platform for ease of management.

Originally posted by Lynne
                          Do you have any size limitations of either database size or disk space that you may be running into?
                          Nope, no issues with either. Attachments are actually being written to disk successfully, it's just the write to 'filedata' that is not happening.

Comment

• Andy
                            • Jan 2002
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by jasonlitka
                            Attachments are actually being written to disk successfully, it's just the write to 'filedata' that is not happening.
                            How do you have the thumbnail settings? Are you creating thumbnails, or is that function turned off in the Admin CP?

Comment

• jasonlitka
                              • Mar 2006
                              • 4.0.x

How do you have the thumbnail settings? Are you creating thumbnails, or is that function turned off in the Admin CP?
                              Thumbnails were set to on. I just tried turning them off, as well as switching from ImageMagick to GD, and no luck.

EDIT: To note though, of the attachments I'm uploading that are being stored in the file system but not written to 'filedata', no thumbs are being generated, so the failure is occurring before whenever that happens.

Comment