• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inspector G
    • Dec 2012
    • 4.0.x

Front Page question...

Ok Real question again ...this time no jabbing at anyone...lol

My site is set up so CMS front page is The published Front page of my web site....
    Site is in the root folder access to live html right...
    with Front page 1- set in the admincp...

Say I have a flash web page built and made....
    With links to the rest such as Articles, Arcade, Discussion Boards and so on...

How can I hang this in the front ?

I would assume it would need to be an Index. something
    Maybe php file...and still have the front page and the discussions boards and arcade all work?
    So I do not loose the functions of the root directory or installed paths...

You see rather than play with and be stuck with the dull front page section
    I want a Flashy eye catching front page and then the rest of the site behind it.

So what code if you wanted to use Flash would you encode the page in?
    How would you configure this to work without doing any damage or loosing paths?

I am kinda thinking I could make the index.php with Flash...
    and go into admin cp and set it to not show 1-index.php for CMS...since the link would still take you to the articles page...and then the rest of the site would work fine???

Please advise...
    Here I go again...
    I have 15 Live members on my site...So even if you want to bash me stop in and visit please...
    www.freedomofspeech.cc
    ... Been around for yrs
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

If you're using VB 4.2.0 you do not replace index.php, you simply make flash.php (or whatever name you want) and set that as the default tab in the VB 4.2.0 Navigation Manager in the Admin CP.

People going to www.domain.com will automatically land on the flash.php page

You can also set the URL directly as the homepage in Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details.

I would caution that flash is a dying technology and making it an integral part of your site immediately removes any change of people using your site from mobile devices these days.
    Last edited by BirdOPrey5; Sat 2 Mar '13, 6:13am.

Comment

• Inspector G
      • Dec 2012
      • 4.0.x

So Joe,
      How do I set up a snazzy front page?
      I kinda thought that if it was Flash that the mobile devices would still get a still that allowed the links to work...

How would you do it?
      what format would you use since Flash is dying?
      HTML5 with fireworks or what?
      I am old school I guess...lol
      Here I go again...
      I have 15 Live members on my site...So even if you want to bash me stop in and visit please...
      www.freedomofspeech.cc
      ... Been around for yrs

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

There is no built in "Still" image if flash is disabled, I suppose if you are a flash developer there may be some way to test if flash is enabled and show flash if it is, otherwise show a more traditional page.

However I am not a flash developer and don't know how one would do that. Personally I am happy with a basic custom HTML page and/or in the case of my 3.x forum VB Advanced CMPS. Not flashy at all but it works. In general, in my opinion, people browsing forums are looking for info or conversation, not flashy graphics.

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
          • Sep 2008

I wouldn't overdo it on the main page... you don't want members saying "WOW that front page was awesome... but... but this is all there is now a forum w/ some semi-decent style??" because they will and it's pointless to out do your entire forum w/ a single splash page imo!

Since you seem to be worried about presentation look over Princeton's Blog entry here, I thought you might enjoy reading the info he provides - [URL="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/princeton/3931230-"]http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/princeton/3931230-[/URL="http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blogs/princeton/3931230-"]

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• Inspector G
            • Dec 2012
            • 4.0.x

Well Gentlemen,
            I appreciate both of your inputs...
            I will look at this blog and decide what to do I guess after more research in the matter...
            Thanks Joe for the detailed explanation...

Now as for Michael......
            I guess I could build a really crappy front side...
            then they will go WOW..
            Can you image that the guy who built the front page...
            Could put this all together...lololol
            Just kidding...
            I couldn't resit, and yes I do get your point...Bet you thought ...Oh no not this guy AGAIN...lol
            I thank you also...
            I will check out the blog info you posted...
            And decide what I think I should do...

So thanks to both of you again for the insight...
            This just proves that support can go out of the normal...
            Thanks
            Here I go again...
            www.freedomofspeech.cc
            ... Been around for yrs

Comment

• Inspector G
              • Dec 2012
              • 4.0.x

I will report back once I get done and show you guys what the end result is...
              Here I go again...
              www.freedomofspeech.cc
              ... Been around for yrs

Comment