X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nharkey
    • Jun 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Using Google analytics?

Is there any way to use Google Analytics or any similar tracking program with a vbulletin forum?
  • k4zyn
    • Apr 2011
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by nharkey
    Is there any way to use Google Analytics or any similar tracking program with a vbulletin forum?
    Of course. Edit footer.php with google's code.

Comment

• nharkey
      • Jun 2011
      • 4.1.x

Many thanks!

Comment

• nharkey
        • Jun 2011
        • 4.1.x

Well, that sounded simple, but nothing in vbulletin turns out simple for me. I had hoped I could find footer.php through my host control panel which will search for all files, but nothing turned up. Then I went to Styles and Templates/Search for Templates and looked for the footer. I must be doing something wrong altogether here, as nothing turned up that seemed related. Would appreciate any advice that will work for a vbulletin novice.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

The footer template is here:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> Edit Templates -> footer
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rik Brown
            • May 2005
            • 4.2.X

There is also a mod over at vbulletin.org (search mod titles there for analytics) that allows you to bypass editing templates.

-- Rik

Comment

• nharkey
              • Jun 2011
              • 4.1.x

Hi Steve,

When I followed that pattern in Styles and Templates I got as far as Styles manager in proper order. But when I clicked on that I got a choice between default style and the theme I am using. When I click on either of these I do get a menu down arrow that I can click that says edit templates, but this doesn't hold. I click and it just reverts to style vars (or some word like vars). If I click on a button with double arrows (>> <<), it does bring up a control panel, but clicking on edit in this seems to do nothing. If I go back to the menu that gave me a choice of my default or alternate styles I can also click 'go' there and get very long list of possible items, but as far as I can see, when I find 'footer' the only thing I can do there is change the CSS properties.

I am probably driving you crazy with all the things I cannot do, but I think that quite a few of them come back to trying to edit something I can't find, so may be related. If it were not for that I would just take the next suggestion and search for a way around editing the footer.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Sorry, I don't understand the problem you are having. Can you provide a screen shot?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• smirkley
                  • Feb 2008

Actually it is easier and built in already.

Replacement Variable Manager.

I replace </body> with,..

***google code****
                  </body>

Helps remove at least one template revert on upgrades.

Comment

• Rik Brown
                    • May 2005
                    • 4.2.X

@nharkey:

I really suggest you simply use the analytics mod over at vbulletin.org.

1) Import mod to your admincp
                    2) Type or paste your adsense code into the mod
                    3) Done

It is as easy as that.

With the analytics mod, everything is setup in a few minutes without any worries.

And, there is no re-editing of a template should the template change with each vb upgrade. -- Rik

Comment

• nharkey
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 4.1.x

(For Steve) Rik is probably right that I should go to the analytics mod, but in the meantime I still want to find out why I am having so much trouble finding templates. I am not sure what will help but I took a few screen shots.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	after stylemanager.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	3683059 This won't help much but it comes up right after I click style manager. It gives you a choice of default or alternate skin. From there there are several ways to proceed but they all seem to end up by producing a control panel and a long list of templates, as follows:
                      :Click image for larger version

Name:	controls.PNG
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	3683060Click image for larger version

Name:	header view.PNG
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	3683061Click image for larger version

Name:	template chooices.PNG
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	3683062 The control panel will let you bring the code up for whatever you can find, by clicking on the desired item in the left column, and then edit on the control panel, but I have never been able to find 'footer', though I did find 'header' and was able to open that. These are pretty much too small to read, but it does show what I am getting with Style Manager. Am I just not finding 'footer' or what?

Comment

• Ace
                        • Apr 2004
                        • 4.2.X

How odd. Your site has no footer template? It seems to have one named after a website, for some reason though.

Does it actually have a footer when you look at the forum itself?
                        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Reupload the original vbulletin-style.xml file to the install directory. Then upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Then reimport the vbulletin-style.xml file by running tools.php from your browser. Immediately remove tools.php when you are done.

Then check the styles again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nharkey
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Hi,

I do seem to have a footer, I think, but it is a strange arrangement. When I have the forum homepage up online and and right click to see the page code, toward the bottom you see Begin Template: Footer. At the end, the templates close in this order: End templatewrapper End TemplateFooter End Template FORUMHOME. Also in the template search process I can find a list of all the CSS properties for Footer. Finally, it looks like a footer on the screen, with Contact us etc. in a line at the bottom.
                            I can open the main FORUMHOME in Style Manager, and could edit there, but there is just one footer reference in that document that I could find (something like vb raw footer). There are a number of subtemplates underneath FORUMHOME, but none refer to a footer.

Given all that complication I am a little squeamish about reuploading. Is it possible that any of these oddities are related to the skin I bought?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Yes, it is very likely related to the skin you bought.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment