X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr GRiM
    • Aug 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Database Attachments issue

I have an issue concerning the database, on phpBB the files are stored on the file system and I never had any issues but now I am going over to Vbulletin the files first have to be transferred to the database.

There are options to have attachments as a file system but impex which is the tool provided by vBulletin to transfer another forum type into VB doesn't seem to like transferring straight into a file system so I am forced to use the database default storage type.

Now on to the problem, first of all I had a really hard time being able to transfer large files into the database , I have 15000 attachments some as big as 140MB and over 20GB of attachments in total, but the big problem is taking them out again once in there, even though for instance I have a file that is 20mb in size and I can see it in the database at that size I can not download the file, it will stick at 1mb, I have also tried transferring the database into a file system but when that happens all files are shrunk to 1mb in size.

Now I am thinking there must be a set limit on the file transfer from the database, now I don't know if that is somehow configured into VB somewhere or if it a setting that be changed on mysql or somewhere else that could be
    restricting that size.

I don't know if any of you have ever encountered this problem before but I have tried searching everywhere for an answer and I don't seem to be having any luck and hoping you may be able to help find the solution.

Best regards

Mark
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

The database will only accept files upto 16M by default. For anything bigger you will need to redefine the field size.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Mr GRiM
      • Aug 2011
      • 4.1.x

I have already increased the limit to 100MB and removed any files larger then 50MB and that is not the problem, I can transfer large files but I am unable to download them once there as I stated in the first post.

Is there a way to force Impex to transfer my attachments straight to a file system, as thats where I want them anyway and that would avoid all the issues with the database, for some reason when trying to use impex to transfer directly to a file system it returns an error on all the files that the source location is incorrect no file found or some crap like that, even though using the exact same overall server path is accepted when transferring to the database, to me this seems like a simple coding bug in Impex and to be honest it really is annoying that I paid $300 for Vbulletin thinking they had this great program that would let me transfer with ease only to find the total opposite and finding endless problems with transferring from another forum software using this tool.

I have 50 thousand members wondering when they will be able to come back on the site as I have been trying for the last 4 days to get the transfer to work correctly, I am not worried about all the other numerous problems but the content is what makes the site and I would not want to have to import each one again manually.

Surely there must be a solution to force Impex to transfer directly to the file system, I could not possibly be the only one who has encountered this issue, and if your going to reply again could you at least read the post first and give me a reply more then one line with some decent information to help resolve the problem.

Comment

• Mr GRiM
        • Aug 2011
        • 4.1.x

just another update on this, I uploaded a 20MB file to the database and tried to download it and it got stuck at 17MB, I then transferred the attachments back to a file system and the size of the file shrunk to 15MB, I was then able to complete the download but the file is corrupt, I then deleted the attachment and uploaded it again but this time on a file system instead of the database and the file uploaded and and also downloaded fine without error, so what be the cause of the database corrupting the files like this, there must be some setting that is responsible.

All I wanted since getting vBulletin 5 days ago is to transfer the files directly to a file system using Impex but I get the error message Failed :: Attachment not imported I made a copy of the files from phpBB and they are in the VB directory, I did this because it was the only way they would transfer to the database without getting the message file not found even though I know the absolute path I entered was correct, I know Impex is cable of doing this transfer but for some reason I cant get it to happen, is there some sort of hack or something else I could try to get this import to work, does anyone know if downgrading to an older version of VB is better?

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mr GRiM
          so what be the cause of the database corrupting the files like this, there must be some setting that is responsible.
          Please read my reply, I just told you why.

The filedata table is limited to 16M for the actual attachment data, anything bigger would simply get truncated.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...