X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reddyink
    • Aug 2007
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] CMS Sections and Categories

Just started using VbCMS and have a basic question.

I am confused between sections and categories. I would like to filter categories for each section. So when I pick "News" section, I would like to see categories(x) for that section only. Example - Section Name: Sports, Category Name: U.S.A. When I click on "sports" and category "U.S.A", I need to see sports articles related to U.S.A only but when I click Category U.S.A, it shows not only sports but articles from all other sections such as business, markets etc.

How to filter this?
  • reefland
    • Sep 2000

You need to keep using sections and not categories.

Section - Sports
    Sub Section - USA
    Sub Section - UK

Categories are for further grouping across sections. For instance, if your sections are setup as above, you could create a category called Soccer. Then, create articles in the USA and UK sections about Soccer and group them in that category.

This will allow you to see UK sports articles, USA sports articles or all Soccer related articles grouped together.
    sigpic
    Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

• reddyink
      • Aug 2007
      • 4.1.x

Great! But how does one filter a Category by Section. In the above example above, if a user just wants see "Soccer" group article from the "USA" section, how does the user filter it??

Comment

• reefland
        • Sep 2000

You can't in that scenario. In this case, you would make the following sections:
        Sports
        - USA
        -- Soccer

That is the only way you can drill down and only view USA Soccer articles.
        sigpic
        Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...