Why are my forums pushed to the right???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdavis2702
    • Mar 2008

[Forum] Why are my forums pushed to the right???

For some reason, my forums are slightly pushed to the right. You can see this best when I set doc_width to 100%. Look at the screen shot on the far right side. You can see where the edge of the site is cut off. However, I can scroll to the right with the scroll bar at the bottom. No matter what I set the dimensions of the site to, they are constantly pushed to the right. So if I set doc_width to a fixed 900px, it's still pushed to the right.

What gives? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	3721073
    My name is Sean and I own iConvo - Intelligent Conversations.
  • sdavis2702
    • Mar 2008

doc_margin is set at "0 auto 0 auto", by the way.

Comment

• sdavis2702
      • Mar 2008

And I'm almost willing to bet that the forums aren't actually pushed to the right, but that the forum itself is correct on the LEFT but actually extends passed where it should on the right... if that makes any sense.

Okay I'll shut up and wait for help.

Comment

• Destron
        • Dec 2009

I don't know about 0 auto, 0 auto, it should be one or the other, right?

Comment

• sdavis2702
          • Mar 2008

No that part should be correct. No margins on the top and bottom and auto set for both the left and right sides.

Comment

• Destron
            • Dec 2009

Is this happening in every browser? have you tried creating a new style to see if it's a style problem or a plugin that might be causing this?

Comment

• sdavis2702
              • Mar 2008

Yes it is in every browser. I hadn't checked other styles yet (somehow) so I just went and did that and the default style is fine. It's my only other style. So I changed all of the "doc_" settings in my custom style to match that of the default style. It fixed everything. So I went back into those settings one by one to try and figure out what is causing the problem.

Here, everything is perfect and fitting to the screen completely...
              doc_margin: px - no - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

doc_maxWidth: blank selection - auto

doc_minWidth: px - 650

doc_width: blank selection - auto

Here, I get the same issue as my attached image in the opening post...

doc_width: % - 100

I have no idea why that would mess things up. It also messes up if doc_width was "px - XXX" which is a bummer because I can't use a centered background image to place the forums within... which was my original goal.
              Last edited by sdavis2702; Sat 30 Jul '11, 8:16pm.

Comment

• setishock
                • Jun 2005
                • 4.2.x

Set doc margin left and right to 35px. Set doc width to auto.
                And you get this:

If you set the margins to auto or 0 it wll fan out and most time goes off the right of the screen,
                And you get this:

If you set the margins and then set the doc width to auto the forum fans out to fit the screen no matter what size screen. But it still has the margins to keep the left and right edges inside the border of the browser. Looks better.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by setishock; Sat 30 Jul '11, 7:48pm.

Comment

• sdavis2702
                  • Mar 2008

Thanks for chiming in!

What you are advising is what I have going now. The exception is that I have the left and right margins set at 0 rather than 35. It works the same, though. So everything works just fine based on what you are saying. However, take a look a my post right above yours. The red section is where things start screwing up.

The reason WHY I want the red section to be that way is because I have a background image that I would like to use and it will be centered. The image is designed to have the forum sit within the graphic borders on the image. When the changes in red are made, that's when it jumps off center and looks like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	3682990

And it will be extended like that on the right side NO MATTER what the width is... and no matter if I use a percentage or pixels.

Comment

• setishock
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 4.2.x

Just add a right margin then. Just enough to keep the right edge inside the browser. The key to when you have a good amount is the bottom scroll bar will go away. Then lay in your background image based on that setting.
                    Last edited by setishock; Sat 30 Jul '11, 8:04pm. Reason: I need to switch to decafe...

Comment

• setishock
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 4.2.x

BTW Where are you going to put a background image if you have the forum flaired all the way out?

Comment

• sdavis2702
                        • Mar 2008

That's the problem lol... it doesn't fix issue. Here's why.

1) When you change just the right margin, all it does is... well... change the right margin.

2) To fully test your fix, I have to change "doc_width" to "%-100" so that the problem is actually there. Once I set the right margin to 100, for example, it means nothing because the "%-100" overrides it and the forum stays at 100% and is STILL over extended (because that right margin was overwritten).

Also, the site is flared out right now because I won't just let it sit there off centered. I adjust it back, troubleshoot, and bring it back to the default flared setting if I can't figure anything out.

Comment

• sdavis2702
                          • Mar 2008

In other words, you are saying to go from this...

to this...
                          doc_margin: px - no - 0 - XX - 0 - 0

All that does is give it a right margin... nothing more.

To get to the actual problem, I have to adjust the doc_width...

THAT makes it off center. So, to fix it, you said to give it a right margin.

doc_margin: px - no - 0 - XX - 0 - 0

It doesn't work because the doc_width overrides the right margin.

It's like I have to create the problem in order to try to fix it... and I can't fix it.

Comment

• setishock
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 4.2.x

Change width from 100% to auto and set the right margin again. Let's see what that does. I think it may be using the % instead of auto. I've never used % in setting the forum width. It's always been auto or a fixed amount.

Comment

• sdavis2702
                              • Mar 2008

To be sure, I've just done that again... what you just suggested (changing doc_width from "% - 100" to "blank - auto"). But all it does is give the forum right margin. Everything works as it should there. The problem doesn't come until doc_width is changed FROM auto. Auto seems to be the only thing that works. Everything else gives the issue.

I know, it seems like we're going in circles. This literally makes no sense, though. I have to be overlooking something.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...