X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Futhark
    • Jul 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Spam Prevention

Hi all, today i changed over from phpBB to vBulletin and so far so good from what i can see, my main issue with phpBB was spam, no matter what i did i would get 15-20 reqistrations a day all Spam

So i'm starting out correctly with vBulletin can anyone give me tips or suggestions on how to setup my forum to minimise spam. My forum doesn't need to be used indexed in google if that is possible, i think this is how spammers get forums am i right?
  • matt94gt
    • May 2010

Using a question rather then captcha generally works better for me, so have a obvious question if your forum is about dogs write "what for legged animal is this forum all about"

There must be a mod where you can use CAPTCHA + A question, that way you have both. I just came from SMF but over there I had Captcha, Question as well as a "ARE YOU HUMAN" and the user had to select from a drop down, which worked awesome.

Comment

• Futhark
      • Jul 2011
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by matt94gt
      Using a question rather then captcha generally works better for me, so have a obvious question if your forum is about dogs write "what for legged animal is this forum all about"

There must be a mod where you can use CAPTCHA + A question, that way you have both. I just came from SMF but over there I had Captcha, Question as well as a "ARE YOU HUMAN" and the user had to select from a drop down, which worked awesome.
      Yes that sounds perfect, now I'll just have to learn how to get addons for my forum.

Am I right about how spammers find your forums? Because they get added to Google?

Comment

• Jul 2011
        • 4.1.x

Yesterday, I switched from Image verification to captcha, and I had one spammer this morning. So I switched back. We will see if I get anymore.

Comment