What do you mean by revert templates?? I am trying to upgrade my forum to 4.1.5 now.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benative
    • Oct 2009

[Forum] What do you mean by revert templates?? I am trying to upgrade my forum to 4.1.5 now.

I am kind of confused..
    so here is my understanding of how to upgrade.
    overwrite all the files in upload folder.
    and run upgrade.php in install directory... done..

but what about my modified templates?? will the modifications be lost??
    is that why we are required to revert?
  • FlashJim
    • Jun 2011
    • 4.1.x

I need to know the same thing. It's not 100% clear.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

The upgrader will attempt to merge template changes into the customised templates. If it can't make the merge successfully, you will need to address this yourself. Please see this Blog post for more:

If you've any concerns about this, always test first (in fact, always test first any way!):

Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Chips
        • Mar 2009
        • 4.1.x

The upgrade to 4.1.5 has a TON of template conflicts, they are not conflicts with changes I made to my templates but ones that vB 4.1.2 did.
        Your Custom Template Last Edited in vBulletin 4.1.2 by xiaoyu
        There are 40 or so conflicts, you would think that the tech staff would have corrected this pre-release of 4.1.5. The process of correcting/reverting is a time waster for users. Hope this was an isolated incident not to be repeated in future upgrades. What a PIA this upgrade is.

BTW, these conflicts are all in the mobile style template.

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.1.x

I also had 40+ templates to revert in the mobile style - and the mobile style has never been modified on our site. If all it takes for an admin to fix this is to click on "Revert" 40 times, shouldn't the software be able to do that as well?
          The Vegan Forum

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Ignore the mobile style completely, it does not have a master style.

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.1.x

What does that mean? Do you mean ignore all those 40+ messages (and if so, how to get rid of them)?
              The Vegan Forum

Comment

• Rik Brown
                • May 2005
                • 4.2.X

I never understood the usage of the word "revert" when managing templates. Its very confusing since it suggests one is "going back" to an older template when what the program actually does is "go forward" to use the newest vBulletin stock template. [Could this possibly be a difference in British English vs. American English?]

Instead of "reverting," the program "replaces" (overwrites) the prior template with the latest stock vBulletin template and one loses any prior custom edits in the process.

So, when I upgrade, if the template in question has any custom edits in it, I normally cut and paste it into a text editor and let the program overwrite (revert per vb terminology) my old custom template with the latest stock version of the template. Then I go back and make any necessary custom edits.

If I make a big mistake, then I actually do REVERT to the prior template with a cut & paste from the saved version in my text editor.

At least, that's my understanding of how it works. -- Rik

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Revert > Goes back to the stock vBulletin default template that we released.

A "Master STyle" is a style that holds master records, it keeps stock versions of the templates.
                  The mobile style is a completely custom style without a master style, just like any third party style.
                  If the mobile style templates are out of date, they can be ignored.

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.1.x

But again - how do we get rid of warnings about templates that need to be updated or reverted?
                    The Vegan Forum

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Save them (after making changes, if required), or revert them.
                      Last edited by Zachery; Sat 30 Jul '11, 9:31pm.

Comment

• FlashJim
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                        Save them (after making changes, if required), revert them.
                        I thought if you went into edit, then saved (keeping merged changed) ... that was different than reverting to the stock VB supplied version.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Should be an or revert them, fingers moving faster than me. Sorry

Comment

• polle
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4.1.x

So to be completely clear here this is how it works.

Click revert.
                            - That will erase everything and use the latest file we just uploaded with no modifications at all. (just the original newest file)
                            - Now we have to go to the file, paste/edit our modifications to it and save.

Correct ?

Comment

• Rik Brown
                              • May 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Revert > Goes back to the stock vBulletin default template that we released.

A "Master STyle" is a style that holds master records, it keeps stock versions of the templates.
                              The mobile style is a completely custom style without a master style, just like any third party style.
                              If the mobile style templates are out of date, they can be ignored.
                              See, that's exactly the problem many of us have with the word "revert" per my message #8 above. How can you "revert" to something you have never had such as the latest release of the template?

Origin:
                              1250–1300; Middle English reverten (< Old French revertir ) < Latin revertere to turn back, equivalent to re- re- + vertere to turn; see verse
                              If it is new, it ain't reverting as far as I'm concerned.

However, after years of using vBulletin I just ignore the word revert and think in my mind that they mean "convert to the latest template and lose your edits."

-- Rik

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...