• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barca4ever
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

[Forum] Facebook LIKE thumbnail

Hi,

When clicking on LIKE in any post in my forum, the Facebook thumbnail is the one defined in vbulletin's Facebook options NOT the first image in the POST!

How can I force Facebook to take POST's first image?

Moreover, when I tested the URL in:

https://developers.facebook.com/tools/lint?url=

I got the following warning:

Required Property Missing og:title is required

Thanks in advance
  • barca4ever
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

I have just noticed, now with thumbnail image in vbulletin Facebook options, all links I posted manually in Facebook got that thumbnail as well, where it used to pick the first image in the post!

I removed that thumbnail in vbulletin Facebook options and got the manual LINKS posting in Facebook showing the correct thumbnail, BUT now the LIKES are not showing any image at ALL!!

Please help, I want both LIKES and manual LINKS to show first image in the POST.

Comment

• barca4ever
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

Any help !! especially from vBulletin's developers !!

Comment

• barca4ever
        • Mar 2006
        • 3.5.x

Second REMINDER!

Comment

• barca4ever
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.5.x

Now I'm running 4.1.5 and still same problem!

Comment

• The Rocketeer
            • Jun 2010

Same problem here man, no one including the vb team of dev's are addressing it.
            Did you fix yours ?

This might be the issue we are all facing http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/...3Aall-tabpanel
            Last edited by The Rocketeer; Sat 27 Aug '11, 1:18am.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Freddie wrote this in the bug report which I believe addresses the issue:
              If I understand the issue, this is in reference to the Thumbnail options that are displayed when one attaches a link to a facebook "share". If you have input a value in Admin CP -> Facebook Options -> Image URL, then this image will always be the only option displayed to users.

When this option is set, it adds a meta tag to the page:

<meta property="og:image" content="http://example.com/image.jpg"/>

When this tag is present, facebook will use only this image for the thumbnail, not showing any other choices.

When I empty this option, I get an assorted selection of thumbnails to choose from on an article. The thing is, the choices that I am given are all smallish images. Facebook does retrieve the images to process their size. Only images that are of a relatively thumbnail(ish) size are shown for your choosing. If no images are given to select from, that is down to the facebook scrape script. There are many posts on the internet about its failings, hence the suggestion to tell the script which image to use with the meta tag. Adding the ability to specify the specific image when an article/entry is made is doable but not a trivial task.

There is no way to instruct facebook to only choose from a set of images to display as thumbnail options. You can either specify a specific image for a page, via the tag above, or allow facebook to choose with no ability to give hints.

Between 404 and 406, the facebook connect was changed to use the new Open Graph API, hence the functionality changes.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment