X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falcon Capt
    • May 2006
    • 4.2.x

[Forum] CKEditor toolbar doesn't display on Android device

When browsing my forum on an Android Phone (Android 2.2.2) using the default browser, the CKEditor Toolbar does not display (it doesn't display on either the Quick Reply or the Advanced Editor). (This same issue is also present on this site (vBulletin.com))

Checking the same site in IE8, Chrome and Firefox all show the toolbar correctly.

Also noticed another thing, the smilies only show up is JavaScript is turned OFF on the phone browser, if JavaScript is turned on, the smilies initially appear and then disappear once the page load is complete.

(The image provided is with JavaScript OFF on the phone browser)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CKEditor_Android_issue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	3720906
    Last edited by Falcon Capt; Mon 4 Jul '11, 10:05am.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Do you really want it to? 350k of js is a lot for mobile users. I would personally rather only show the text box,

Comment

• Falcon Capt
      • May 2006
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Zachery
      Do you really want it to? 350k of js is a lot for mobile users. I would personally rather only show the text box,
      Yes, actually it would be nice to have it available. A lot of mobile users use Wifi a lot, which reduces their data load. I also have a mobile version of my site which is very lite that my members can use if they want to reduce their bandwidth usage.

Was it intentionally deleted for mobile users or is it a bug? It is weird that with Java on even the smilies box doesn't show, when you turn Java off the smilie box shows but still not the CKEditor toolbar.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

In the past it was, not sure about now honestly. I'd personally opt for not showing it on mobile devices.

Comment

• Rahstyles
          • Apr 2006
          • 4.1.x

YES THIS IS A BIGO PROBLEM... HOW THE HECK am i supposed to bold things and post smilies and PICTURES??? I suggest this gets looked into asap.. i dont want no watered down vb just cause im on my android device witha dual core precessor... and my ipad.. and not be able to do those things.. thats a shame!

Comment

• worried
            • Dec 2008
            • 4.2.X

It's a lot period! It it really necessary? Compare that with <textarea></textarea>.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Rahstyles
              YES THIS IS A BIGO PROBLEM... HOW THE HECK am i supposed to bold things and post smilies and PICTURES??? I suggest this gets looked into asap.. i dont want no watered down vb just cause im on my android device witha dual core precessor... and my ipad.. and not be able to do those things.. thats a shame!
              The same way we do it now without the text editor? [b]bold[/b]

Comment

• PoC
                • Jul 2008
                • 3.7.x

Is this a genuine reply from a member of vB staff?

YES, we really want to, and if you personally don't like it, it would seem reasonable that there should at least be the option for the forum owner to decide that for themselves, via a switch.

Is this why it's also not working on the iPad?

Some features in the Advanced Editor for use in CMS articles you can't just replicate with simple BB Code text, I'm afraid.

There are complaints about this on various forums that have upgraded to 4.1.4. Having had the facility for a long time, removing it should at least be an option rather than an act of fiat.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Did you not notice the word personally?

There are some builds of the iOS/Android devices that have issues with the new code we use, and we have posted a fix for it in the bug tracker.
                  I honestly hope it is an option, hopefully both admin and user level. I very rarely use the editor features as a whole and would not want to waste my precious mobile data on 350k of js.

Comment

• PoC
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.7.x

Unfortunately as a member of vB staff, talking about a vB feature set on the official vB boards then even the word "personally" can read somewhat like a veiled reference to an unofficial vB-made decision, even if it's not!

Absolutely agree with you - if it does prove such a drain then a user-controlled switch would be a good option.

Comment

• Falcon Capt
                      • May 2006
                      • 4.2.x

The same way we do it now without the text editor? [b]bold[/b]
                      MANY users of forums are not versed in HTML or BBCode, so having a WYSIWYG editor is vital...

Did you not notice the word personally?

There are some builds of the iOS/Android devices that have issues with the new code we use, and we have posted a fix for it in the bug tracker.
                      I honestly hope it is an option, hopefully both admin and user level. I very rarely use the editor features as a whole and would not want to waste my precious mobile data on 350k of js.
                      Keep in mind that a great MANY mobile devices (Android and iOS) are used via a Wifi connection and the user isn't concerned with bandwidth but want functionality.

At the very least give us a switch to enable/disable at our option for these mobile devices. To use an extremely crippled editor on an advanced mobile device because something "thinks" that it will be too much bandwidth is ridiculous...

I can't upgrade to 4.1.4 for this one reason as a great many of my members use mobile devices and expect a full editor...

Comment