X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x YNWA x
    • May 2007

[Forum] Choosing a usergroup on registration

Hi

I am creating a forum for 20 football teams. I want it so that people that support a particular team have that team name as their usergroup and they only see forums for that team with the set permissions. But I am wondering is there a way where I can do a drop down list on the registration field where people can choose a team (usergroup) and it will all be automatic? Rather than me setting up a default registered users and having to change each user manually.

Thanks
  • josiah
    • Nov 2008
    • 4.1.x

Interesting idea, I know it is off topic but knowing what some football supporters can be like, you run the risk of rival supporters joining each others team forum with the sole intention of causing trouble.
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• x YNWA x
      • May 2007

Originally posted by josiah1
      Interesting idea, I know it is off topic but knowing what some football supporters can be like, you run the risk of rival supporters joining each others team forum with the sole intention of causing trouble.
      Yep, the whole reason of doing it. The site is eplindex.com which is opta stats (it is not fully operational yet) which has all the official opta stats for premier league teams but we will be adding a forum to it. It was originally anfieldindex.com which is up and running but opta said they will not allow the stats on a single team site, so we are doing this but with the forum we really would need a way of only letting people who support that team in that particular forum and then have some sort of general forum for all fans.

I know I can create 20 usergroups, I don't even know how to change the default usergroup from registered users to something else, but there must be a way to pick the usergroup upon registration or even just after registration. I know there are promotions etc but this is slightly different.

I am also wondering how to do this auto save on the quick reply!!

Comment

• josiah
        • Nov 2008
        • 4.1.x

You can call the default usergroup whatever you like it does not have to be "registered users" just change the name via admincp, it will still be default though.
        Your other idea would mean a change in the software I think, one of the guru's will advise no doubt.
        <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

• x YNWA x
          • May 2007

Originally posted by josiah1
          You can call the default usergroup whatever you like it does not have to be "registered users" just change the name via admincp, it will still be default though.
          Your other idea would mean a change in the software I think, one of the guru's will advise no doubt.
          I know you can change the name but there must be a way of changing it so people can choose. Hopefully someone will reply.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• x YNWA x
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
              Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
              Hi
              Already asked at Vborg but got no reply. All I need to know is if it is possible, and if it is Ill need to find a coder to do it

Cheers

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Yes, this is possible with the right custom coding.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• x YNWA x
                  • May 2007

I found someone to do it for me, its seems it was pretty simple with the right knowledge

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...