Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdougher
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TTF
    My members are having many issues too. People on iPhone and iPad can post however the spacing in their posts is removed. So for example the following:

"Testing testing

3"

Would display as "Testing testing123"

Yeah, I can't use vB4 for this reason. I don't mind an editor that strips spaces, but there has to be a way to use an editor that does not.

I have a forum where users put spaces in their text on purpose and we need to see the text presented as typed.
    PhotoCamel | PoetryCircle | KissMyCamel

Comment

• Sworm1
      • Feb 2008

I hate this too, with Chrome and IE is impossible to use it. IE are crashing a lor of times for example when i format a text with big size and add color, table and videos :S

Comment

• rootsxrocks
        • Aug 2009
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
        The patch was released to all versions of vBulletin 4.
        if thats the case then it was not comunicated well I refer to .......
        Originally posted by rootsxrocks
        is the upgrade to 4.14 from 4.13 pl1 needed for the Phishing patch I was waiting till 4.15 was released to be sure all my mods were ready.
        Originally posted by Steve Machol
        Yes, you would need to upgrade to 4.1.4.
        Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

I thought you were speaking of the SQL injection issue. The phishing patch is fairly trivial and I've released a patch for all older versions of vBulletin.

Comment

• k4zyn
            • Apr 2011
            • 4.0.x

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-12092 for your mobile browser issues, it is a bug that we were unable to replciate locally. It should be fixed in 415.
            I'm not sure I understand. Either I was misquoted and this was meant to answer someone else, or my questions were misread.

Here they are again:

Originally posted by k4zyn
            I guess I'll throw my two issues in here too, although I do have a thread open about them.

Firstly, the image button. I need the whole attachment thing to go away. I don't want to host images, and my users hate it for two reasons, first it's defaulted to the "from your Computer" tab........no one wants to posts images from their computer, it's all from URL. So when they click the url tab, they then have to uncheck the box that says something about saving to the server or whatever.

Secondly, when I quote someone, there used to be a few extra lines underneath the quote so you could easily click anywhere under the quote and start typing. Now, you have to click at the end of the quote, enter enter enter, and then type. It's frustrating sometimes because we're all used to just clicking anywhere underneath the quote to start. Now if you do that, you start typing in the middle of the quoted text.
            Edit: I can reproduce it for you if you wish, to visually show what I mean.

Comment

• teach1st
              • May 2000

By the way, the word-wrapping had not been fixed in 4.1.5. I posted elsewhere in Quick Reply and the editor split words where they shouldn't be split - check the attached picture showing this message being entered in quick reply. Really, that isn't standard behavior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nowrap-editor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	3682970
              Another Fred

Comment

• Fergal
                • Dec 2004

I paid a VB Admin €110 yesterday to upgrade my forum from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5. I upgraded because I was concerned that not upgrading to the latest version would be a security risk and I hadn't seen this thread before the upgrade. Honestly I feel that my forum is less user-friendly and enjoyable to use now, than it was before the upgrade.

It would be nice to use forum software supplied by a company who cared about and listened to its customers. But the response from VB usually implies that any issues are the fault of someone or something else - a customised theme, an installed mod, hosting platform, browser, a mobile device being used, etc, etc. VB have a lot of unhappy customers yet they persist with the view that they have no shortcomings.

IMO VB's attitude is summarised very well in the quotes below from a VB staff member;

I have access to support tickets, and 99% of the upgrade errors comes from modification of some sort...
                Source

We can't really be held responsible for 3rd party plugins.
                Source

If you're in the 1%, perhaps you're lucky, but if you want to customise your forum theme or install a mod then VB "can't really be held responsible".

Believe it or not I actually love VB and I have been a customer for many years - that's the reason why I take the time and make the effort to give my feedback. But it is getting more and more difficult to remain a customer and I'm beginning to think that the fault is really mine - "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".
                Fergal Crawley
                Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

We added CKEditor due to customer feedback, and it is a far better editor than what we've had in the past.

Comment

• setishock
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 4.2.x

If you're in the 1%, perhaps you're lucky, but if you want to customise your forum theme or install a mod then VB "can't really be held responsible".
                    Makes perfect sense to me that they can't be held responsible.
                    Mods: They didn't write it. They don't sell it. So it makes prefect sense they don't support it. They will do some basic troubleshooting but that's as far as it goes.
                    Edits: If you make a change to the base code then no they don't have to help you fix it. You deviated from the base code. But they will from time to time take a shot at the problem. Others will jump in to help out also.
                    Styling: Any of us can answer most questions about styling.
                    Hosting: That's YOUR problem. Hosting issues can create problems that VB/IB is not responsible to troubleshoot or fix.
                    Mobile devices: I personally have always believed that a cell phone is just that. A phone.

All you have to do most of the time when you install a mod or a theme you found somewhere and you run in to a problem is ask where you got them. The coders that create those items are the best source of info.
                    VB/IB doesn't make or sell those items so realisticly speaking your logic is in error...

Comment

• Fergal
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by setishock
                      ...your logic is in error...
                      What logic are your referring to? What is it from my post that you don't agree with?
                      Fergal Crawley
                      Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Fergal
                        if you want to customise your forum theme or install a mod then VB "can't really be held responsible".
                        Yes, this is correct, and has been since the day vBulletin launched 10+ years ago.

If you modify your car engine, and it fails, are the car makers resposible ?
                        If you install 3rd party drivers on Windows, and they crash, are Microsoft responsible ?

No company is responsible for issues that 3rd party modifications to their products may cause.
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 4.2.X

I thought you were speaking of the SQL injection issue. The phishing patch is fairly trivial and I've released a patch for all older versions of vBulletin.
                          sorry for the confusion, it's too late for me to go back now, but I am very happy I got the nudge to make the leap. I love The ck and look forward to 4.1.5.
                          Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Fergal
                            I paid a VB Admin €110 yesterday to upgrade my forum from 4.1.3 to 4.1.5. I upgraded because I was concerned that not upgrading to the latest version would be a security risk and I hadn't seen this thread before the upgrade. Honestly I feel that my forum is less user-friendly and enjoyable to use now, than it was before the upgrade.

It would be nice to use forum software supplied by a company who cared about and listened to its customers. But the response from VB usually implies that any issues are the fault of someone or something else - a customised theme, an installed mod, hosting platform, browser, a mobile device being used, etc, etc. VB have a lot of unhappy customers yet they persist with the view that they have no shortcomings.

IMO VB's attitude is summarised very well in the quotes below from a VB staff member;

Source

Source

Believe it or not I actually love VB and I have been a customer for many years - that's the reason why I take the time and make the effort to give my feedback. But it is getting more and more difficult to remain a customer and I'm beginning to think that the fault is really mine - "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".
                            I don't want to pick but this blows me away! You have been an admin since 2004 and you are still paying someone else to do a simple upgrade? and pay such an outlandish amount $180.00 WOW ! that's the cost of a forum license. I have found upgrading and installing VB to be pretty darn easy after I learned the ropes of hosting and FTP.

We keep ours close to stock and only use the more reliable mods and that makes it a lot easier to keep up to date. but after two years in the game and the upcoming stability I am ready to adventure into some more bold mods and custom work, but I won't be caught in a situation like some I have seen with so heavy of mods that it is impossible to upgrade without a major PITA.

Comment

• punchbowl
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 4.0.x

I'd ask for half the money back or the job finished.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                                Yes, this is correct, and has been since the day vBulletin launched 10+ years ago.

If you modify your car engine, and it fails, are the car makers resposible ?
                                If you install 3rd party drivers on Windows, and they crash, are Microsoft responsible ?

No company is responsible for issues that 3rd party modifications to their products may cause.
                                That may be right, but you know well, especially being a coder yourself, it's way harder than it was on vB3 to change stuff and keep it running the way you want it to be.
                                Every forum solution should be build with the real life usage in mind and not only for theory, how many boards are without style changes and/or usage of add-ons?
                                What I want to say, vBulletin is not responsible for issues beyond the basic usage, but they are responsible to give us the best solution we can build upon.
                                If we're comparing it with cars, you buy a car and replace the default tires with bigger tires and after a callback you receive it back but the tires doesn't fit anymore.
                                Or they build in a new radio with blue-ray CD-player and all your old recorded CD's aren't usable at all.
                                This agile development was the worst decision ever.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...