• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caracena
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

[Forum] Usernames with umlauts problem after upgrading

Hi everybody,

I have a small problem since I upgraded to 4.1.3 from 3.8.x. Users with umlauts in their usernames can't log into my forum. For example the user "José" wrote over 100 messages before the upgrade but now he can't login. If I change his username to "Jose" he can login as usual. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Cesar Aracena
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog, vB CMS and Skimlinks if you have them.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• caracena
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.5.x

Hi Steve, thanks for your answer.

I will wait until tonight's full backup is done (also when I have few visitors) to test this with the forum closed. I'll post tomorrw morning the results.

Thanks again,
      Cesar Aracena

Comment

• caracena
        • Apr 2006
        • 3.5.x

Hello again Steve,

While uploading all files again (actually the includes folder did the trick), the problem described at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ith-new-styles was solved, but not the problem with the umlauts on usernames.

As stated at http://www.php.net/manual/en/functio...atch.php#93185, there's a problem with preg_match and spanish umlauts (á, é, í, ó, ú and ñ) ahod should work by using utf8_decode/decode. Can I apply that on the front end?

To test if the problem was solved, I tried a different thing than trying to log in with an old user (i.e. José). I've tried to create a new user called "Sfgrésrñ" (and several real names with umlauts) and the system kept saying that those names (in a red box under the username textbox) are not allowed by the administrator. That's what lead me to the preg_match in vB's options.

Any clue?

Thanks again,
        Cesar Aracena

Comment

• caracena
          • Apr 2006
          • 3.5.x

Hi Steve, any news on this? I have over 500 users that can't login since I updated last week -.-
          Cesar Aracena

Comment

• CK
            Banned
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by caracena
            Hi Steve, any news on this? I have over 500 users that can't login since I updated last week -.-
            Can you try and contact support?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Did you follow all of the instructions in post #2? What's the URL?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• caracena
                • Apr 2006
                • 3.5.x

Hi Steve, yes. As stated in post number 4, nothing changed.

The URL is www.pescaydevolucion.com/

Thanks again,
                Cesar Aracena

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Go to AdminCP > Maintenance >Diagnostics > MySQL > Mysql status

What is the connection, and encoding of the connection?
                  Go back, what is the datastorage for your tables (choose table status)

Comment

• caracena
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 3.5.x

Thanks Steve,

Connection: latin1
                    Encoding: latin1_swedish_ci
                    Datastorage: MyISAM
                    Cesar Aracena

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

What do you have set here?

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Edit Settings -> HTML Character Set

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• caracena
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 3.5.x

I have ISO-8859-1
                        Cesar Aracena

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Try changing that to: UTF-8

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• caracena
                            • Apr 2006
                            • 3.5.x

All umlauts in my site become symbols. Changed it back to ISO-8859-1.
                            Cesar Aracena

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Then my last recommendation it ti try this line in config.php:

$config['Mysqli']['charset'] = 'utf8';

If that doesn't wok then you may need to change your db to UTF-8. Unfortunately vBulletin does not have built-in support for UTF-8 at this time. Here are some instructions someone posted for converting an existing vB to UTF-8:

This is not supported so we cannot provide support if you run into any difficulties.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...