• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timcullis
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] Database error message-Too many connections

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many connections
    /home/morocco/public_html/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 314

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Thursday, April 21st 2011 @ 10:30:57 AM
    Error Date : Thursday, April 21st 2011 @ 10:30:57 AM
    Script : http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/forum.php
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 82.69.99.119
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :

I'm getting periodic problems with this error and have had a series of online chats with the technical support guys at Hostgator who start off telling me that I need to upgrade to a better package. Seeing as I've never had more than 9 concurrent online users (my forum is still under development), I refused to accept this.

Then I found one of THEIR technical documents that reckoned a site with 500 currently active members will rarely hit the limit that Hostgator sets of 25 MySQL connections, as the connections are taken and released very quickly.

I found this article: http://www.logician.org/10-vbulletin...ql-connections which recommended turning persistent connection off, so I did that.

HostGator say it is probably an error in the vBulletin software. But this is a completely vanilla site, no script changes/mods whatsoever (other than turning persistent off), and my thinking was that if it was a vBulletin issue, other users would get similar problems.

The problem goes away for a while, then returns—nothing from 9 April until today, and then had eight errors in one hour. I don't understand what the problem is and (assuming it's not vBulletin?) I need some ammunition to go back to HostGator with.

It seems that webcrawlers are counted in the number of connections, could they be part of the problem?

Tim
    Last edited by timcullis; Thu 21 Apr '11, 9:29am.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. This is a server-wide limit, not just your forums. Unless you have root access to the server all you can do is ask your host to raise the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on that error:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• wda2015
      • May 2001

hostgator.. say no more
      Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...