X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the1
    • Apr 2011

[Forum] .png Favicon

Hi Guys,

I do not really like the outdated .ico favicons. Is it possible to use a .png image for my favicon on vB?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I don't believe .png files can be used as favicons. Here is a tutorial on favicons:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• the1
      • Apr 2011

A favicon is a graphic image (icon) associated with a particular Web page and/or Web site. Many recent user agents (such as graphical browsers and newsreaders) display them as a visual reminder of the Web site identity in the address bar or in tabs. The wikipedia includes an article about favicons [FAVICON-WIKIPEDIA].

To add a favicon to your Web site, you'll need both an image and a method for specifying that the image is to be used as a favicon. This document explains the method preferred by W3C for specifying the favicon. There is another common method that is illustrated below, with an explanation of why that method is inconsistent with some principles of Web architecture. Both methods only apply to HTML and XHTML, one of the limitations discussed below.

This document does not discuss in detail how to create a favicon image. However, the format for the image you have chosen must be 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels, using either 8-bit or 24-bit colors. The format of the image must be one of PNG (a W3C standard), GIF, or ICO.
      I am sure you can use PNG images.

If it is not possible in vB how do I go about creating an ICO image?

I already know the image I want I have created it in Photoshop

Comment

• ENF
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by the1
        I am sure you can use PNG images.

If it is not possible in vB how do I go about creating an ICO image?

I already know the image I want I have created it in Photoshop
        Just a tip, favicons have nothing to do with vBulletin. They just happen to include a default one with the software when you get it form them.

Here's a very easy generator that you can use with any image.

Make your own favicon with this online editor
        To be updated...

Comment

• the1
          • Apr 2011

Yeah I understand that favicons have nothing to do with vBulletin. So how do I go about changing the default one to a png image?

Comment

• Ramsesx
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

You can't add a png image into your website and use it as a favicon, all you need to know you'll find in the link Steve posted.
            The most important part:
            A favicon should be 16 X 16 pixels with 16 colors and the file name should be favicon.ico

Comment

• Deathjam
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.8.x

i have no idea if this works, never tried it

stick this between the <head> tags, headinclude template maybe?
              Code:
              <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/png" href="/path/to/favicon.png" />
              My Site: INFJs.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...