Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjwiforums
    • Oct 2009

[Forum] Odd problem (??) with attachments

On monday, I had a pretty critical hard drive issue that wiped out my entire backup drive, as well as my vBulletin attachments, since they were stored on that drive.

Oddly enough, some of the attachments were still stored in the MySQL db, so, those got moved into the drive fine enough, HOWEVER, there still remains the problem of re-uploading the old stuff. This is where the problem is:

When re-uploading the attachments, only about half of them actually re-upload. They all pretend to upload, even insert themselves into the post, but when one goes to actually download the attachment, it's not there. This isn't a "drive" thing (or permission thing) because I've tried this with the attachments in MySQL database, with the same results, it seems like the attachments just aren't uploading at all, which is a very bad thing.

This isn't constant, it's random, but it's problematic enough that I have to deal with this on about once a thread. It's almost like the system still thinks it's there (despite me clearing out all my old attachments, they still show as exist in the 'upload attachments' window). I'm completely at a loss here.
  • tjwiforums
    • Oct 2009

An example of what I was talking about with the system not recognizing the fact that I have no attachments. See attachment screen in usercp, and the upload attachments window. Something's off there
    Attached Files

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

Although attachments are held in the file system (in your case), there will be database entries referring to the files themselves so that posts etc. know exactly what attachment to display. If the file doesn't exist but the database record does then there will be a placeholder for that attachment.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• tjwiforums
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
        Although attachments are held in the file system (in your case), there will be database entries referring to the files themselves so that posts etc. know exactly what attachment to display. If the file doesn't exist but the database record does then there will be a placeholder for that attachment.
        Right, but if I go into the admincp (not the database) and delete all attachments, say, by myself, that record SHOULD be removed completely from the database! See the image in the second post.
        The problem is that they're NOT uploading. Whether or not it's the record in the database stopping that or not, I don't know, or, honestly, care. They need to be re-uploaded, and I can't DO that, because the system just 'fakes it', acting like they were uploaded, but not actually uploading anything.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...