X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loony BoB
    • Sep 2003
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Problems with symbols in usernames

This concerns more than just forums, but I had to choose one prefix.

Since our upgrade to vB4 we've been having multiple issues with members whose usernames contain special characters (e.g.: ♪). It should be noted that we don't want to disallow these characters in usernames. Here are some of the issues we've had:

You can see the index of a user's blog entries, but if you try to read a full entry, it just redirects back to that index. Let's say a user is called myusername♪. The note will be stripped in the index url: "blogs/myusername/". When trying to access an entry, the note will not be stripped but instead url encoded like so: "blogs/myusername%26%239834%3B/259-my-blog-entry.html".
    The same thing happens with the Visitor Message "View Conversation" feature, except redirecting to the forum index. I seem to remember profile pages also redirecting, but we changed it so that profile page urls use userids instead. This would be of interest to be able to change back as well.

Those are just what has come up lately - I imagine there might be more pages suffering from this. How do we fix this?
    Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums - An Online Community of Final Fantasy Fans
    Eyes on Final Fantasy (Site) - The Most In-Depth Final Fantasy Site Online
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

That is not the default url syntax for vBulletin, are you running vBSEO or another third party fancy url program?
    If so you need to contact them for more support.

Comment