X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaisyBoo
    • Jul 2008
    • 4.1.x

[Forum] New Posts Settings

Since upgrading to 4 I can't get these right.

On the old software new posts showed up straight away and if it is was one I'd posted or read it would still show but not be in bold text like unread new posts.

Currently any new posts I make don't show, is there a way to have them show as read new posts in the list?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

vB has always worked that way. The assumption is that since you made the post, you have also read it which is why it does not show up as unread. And except for cases of multiple personalities, that is not an unreasonable assumption.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DaisyBoo
      • Jul 2008
      • 4.1.x

Has it? I thought my posts showed but as unread, and any other posts I've posted in. Still showing but showing as unread.
      I've seen it work like that on another forum I go on and that's vB. *Confused*

Just tested it again on both forums, on mine the posts disappear and on the other they can be seen but are marked as read.
      I tried using the first setting for posts (inactivity/cookie based) and not all the new posts were showing up so now I'm using database - automatic - 3 day.
      Last edited by DaisyBoo; Wed 13 Apr '11, 10:21am. Reason: additonal info

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

What do you have set here?

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DaisyBoo
          • Jul 2008
          • 4.1.x

Database (automatic forum marking) and using 3 days.

I've just been searching on vB.org and someone else has asked the same thing, but there wasn't an answer.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Then my original reply was correct. vB assumes you have actually read the post you made. Always has.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• DaisyBoo
              • Jul 2008
              • 4.1.x

But then how does it work on the other forum I go on? If someone else is asking then it must've been possible?
              The other is Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.0 and mine is 4.1.1

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

I don't know. All I know is that the default vB has always assumed that you have read your own posts.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• DaisyBoo
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 4.1.x

Ok I've just tinkered and to get what I'm after I need to use the cookie/inactive setting. I think I might need to tinker a bit more with settings.
                  Thanks anyway for tying to help!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

If you change to that setting then vB will not longer track which posts and threads you have read. This will all be determine by session timeout.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...