Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmcguire
    • Oct 2006

[CMS] Some widgets not showing up

I am testing vb4 and I am having trouble with widgets in the CMS. Some of the widgets are not showing up. For example The Latest Forum Threads widget does not show up, however the latest articles widget does. I set the days back to 100 and still nothing. Any ideas?
    | Rancho Murieta |
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Before we can investigate this further, you will need to remove or disable all add-ons, including vBSEO and its .htaccess redirects.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog, vB CMS and Skimlinks if you have them.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mmcguire
      • Oct 2006

Tried all of that and the widgets still do not appear. This is a test install so installed from scratch. My production forum is still running 3.8. I am just trying to learn 4 before attempting an upgrade.

Many widget appear just fine (latest articles, html) and others do not (latest posts, latest threads)
      | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• bszopi
        • Nov 2009
        • 4.1.x

Are you using the proper layout and grid for all of the sections and content pages? If you have widgets on a specific layout, but aren't calling for that layout to be used by a page, then the widgets aren't going to show up.

Comment

• Edwin Brown
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2009
          • 5.5.x

Also, make sure there is content. Most of the widgets won't show unless there is something to display. For example- if you create a recent posts widgets, set it to a specific forum, and set it to display only the last two days, and nobody posts in that forum for two days, the widget will hide itself until somebody posts.
          Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• mmcguire
            • Oct 2006

I set it back 300 days and still no content. I am sure it's something I am doing, but I cannot figure out what it is.
            | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

If you have no add-ons installed, fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mmcguire
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                If you have no add-ons installed, fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.
                Did that yesterday. I was just hoping someone here ran into the same issue.
                | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Yes, I see your ticket now. Zach asked for info needed to check this out and instead of providing that info, you accused him of not reading what you wrote. We really do like to help but sometimes that does require cooperation on the other end.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mmcguire
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Yes, I see your ticket now. Zach asked for info needed to check this out and instead of providing that info, you accused him of not reading what you wrote. We really do like to help but sometimes that does require cooperation on the other end.
                    He copy-n-pasted a canned response. The canned response asked for things that had nothing to do with my issue. Try asking for what you actually need and not a bunch of stuff that does not apply to my situation. Try treating me like a human being and stop replying with scripted replies. How about a little customer service? You are the Customer Support Manager right? Is using my name or any type of greeting in my ticket really asking too much?

Your name is pretty bad out there from what I read. You might want to try and stop talking down to your customers and try supporting them. Zachery has all the information he has asked for. Also why is Zachery the only one that has touched the ticket 24 hours? Do you not have any other customer service people working?
                    | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• bszopi
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 4.1.x

Once one person gets assigned a ticket, that person follows through on the entire ticket. They don't throw a bunch of different people at it at different times of the day.

I gave my thoughts and ideas on what might be causing your issue, but you never said if it worked or not. So how are others supposed to help if you don't provide feedback? And besides, with the attitude you are feeding back right now, I am less inclined to help out, and I'm sure the support guys feel the same way (although its their job, so they have to).

Comment

• mmcguire
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bszopi
                        Once one person gets assigned a ticket, that person follows through on the entire ticket. They don't throw a bunch of different people at it at different times of the day.

I gave my thoughts and ideas on what might be causing your issue, but you never said if it worked or not. So how are others supposed to help if you don't provide feedback? And besides, with the attitude you are feeding back right now, I am less inclined to help out, and I'm sure the support guys feel the same way (although its their job, so they have to).
                        I apologize bszopi for my lack of a reply. I looked at your comment, went to test it out, could not find anything, got busy, and did not reply. My bad.

One rep for a ticket? What about when someone has a day off my ticket does not get reviewed. Not very effective, but thanks for the info.

The "attitude" is based on conversations that you don't see. Also the fact that the "manager" felt the need to take that discussion into a forum. That shows very poor judgement. My company would terminate a manager for such an action.
                        | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

• bszopi
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 4.1.x

How many grids and layouts do you have created in the ACP? Grids define the way the page is laid out (sidebars, columns, etc), and layouts define what content is placed in the various sections of the grids. The layout where you are placing the widget is what to focus on here. If you have more than 1 layout, write down what layout you are placing the various widgets in. Then, goto a section in which you are expecting there to be a widget, but it isn't showing up. Edit that section by clicking on the pencil near the section name. Once you are in the section editing area, on the left hand side at the top is options for "Section Information". The 3rd option is "LAYOUT". Verify that what is listed there is the same as the layout you wrote down at the beginning. If not, use the dropdown to change it and see if the widget appears (you *may* have to clear the CMS cache in the ACP before it will show up). Report back if its still not working.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by mmcguire
                            He copy-n-pasted a canned response. The canned response asked for things that had nothing to do with my issue. Try asking for what you actually need and not a bunch of stuff that does not apply to my situation. Try treating me like a human being and stop replying with scripted replies. How about a little customer service? You are the Customer Support Manager right? Is using my name or any type of greeting in my ticket really asking too much?
                            Canned response - yes. But that does not make it irrelevant. He was followed up the best he can and is now asking for the original info he requested in order to investigate this further. In fact he has followed up 3 times in under a day.

Also we have used that same response for years and honestly until now I have never heard it described as unfriendly. I will consider your complaint.

P.S. You have not provided the cPanel or phpMyAdmin URL in your ticket. It would help if you did so.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by mmcguire
                              The "attitude" is based on conversations that you don't see. Also the fact that the "manager" felt the need to take that discussion into a forum. That shows very poor judgement. My company would terminate a manager for such an action.
                              My apologies. It was not my intention to upset you. I was merely clarifying the ticket issue since you brought it up.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...