Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaska_av8r
    • Dec 2009
    • 3.8.x

[CMS] New feature request, non registered users only read a preview of article

Since they have moved new feature suggestions to the tracker which I know I never look at and most people probably don't I figured I would post here so folks can go vote to request this feature.

It makes sense to me that you might want un-registered users to only see a portion of an article. If they want to read the whole article then they would have to register. You should be able to determine exactly how far into the article they can read before registering.

This would also allow the various search engine bots to be able to crawl those portions of the articles so they can be categorized correctly.

So if you think this would be a good feature, support it by voting here http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-11662
  • Edwin Brown
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2009
    • 5.5.x

I just looked at the tracker entry. What you describe appears to me to be exactly what the Permission Preview checkbox does. If someone does not have permission to view an article but that checkbox is checked, they will see the preview. When they click on it they will get a permission-denied message, which you can customize through phrasing. You can decide on a site-wide and per-article basis how much text they see.

If you want something different please explain, as precisely as possible, what additional capability you want.
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
      • Dec 2009
      • 3.8.x

Okay to me this seems way too confusing to accomplish something that would seem so simple.

I want guests to just be able to read a certain amount of lines of all of my articles, but have to register to see the whole thing.

For example, lets say I have an article called "anchoring 101". That article has been published with "preview permissions" set to yes. The article is published in a SECTION called "anchors, rodes and windlasses" under a CATEGORY of "Informative Articles".

in adminCP under CMS permissions I have the section called anchors, rodes and windlasses set to yes for "unregistered not logged in". If I set it to NO then they can't even see the section. So how do I keep it where they can see the sections on the front page, and see the articles but when they try to read the full article it requires them to register first.

Comment

• alaska_av8r
        • Dec 2009
        • 3.8.x

anyone, beuhler? beuhler?

Comment

• Edwin Brown
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Mar 2009
          • 5.5.x

That should be it. Just make sure the previews are rendered on the home page... or some higher section.
          Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment