Internet Explorer 9 Problems (with inserting images)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coffeelover
    • Jul 2010

[Forum] Internet Explorer 9 Problems (with inserting images)

I have run into an annoying issue with IE 9 and vBulletin 4 that I haven't seen discussed here. I manage a small photography forum where members post images - in fact, the main point of the forum is to share images for critique and discussion. The forum is here.

In IE 8, inserting an image was fairly straight forward. If you click the little image box, members navigate to their image and insert it. Images that have been inserted show up in their message (so they can see them) before they click the Submit New Thread button. The images also show up inline with the text - that is, they don't appear as attachments.

In IE 9, you can still navigate to and insert your images, but they don't appear in the thread before you press the Submit New Thread button. They do appear after you submit the thread, but not as inline images - they appear as attached images (which is more wonky looking).

Take a look at screenshots here:

IE 8 : Here in IE 8 you can see that the image shows up in the thread before it has been submitted. Members can see what images they are adding before they submit the thread.

This is what it looks like after the thread has been submitted. The image is inline with the text and does not look like an attachment (by that I mean the image is not residing in an attachment box - it just appears inline with the rest of the text).

IE 9 : Here in IE 9, nothing appears after you insert and image. It acts as if nothing has been added. Although you can't see your image in the thread, it does show up after you click the Submit New Thread button. This makes it confusing for members trying to submit and organize a group of images in a single thread.

Even though you can't see the image before you submit it, it does show up (below). Oddly, instead of the image being inline as in IE 8, it is now showing up as a boxed attachment.

I understand for a lot of forums, this may not be that big a deal. Since my forum is very image-centric, this is really problematic. A lot of my users/members are creative types who don't have a good grasp on how to technically get around weird problems like this (such as inserting an image from in a different browser, etc.). I have been able to get around the problem using developer mode in IE 9 - but I am hoping for a more permanent solution for my members. I have Disable IE 8 Compatibility Mode activated in the admin.

I waited a while before submitting this as a question hoping that vBulletin would have discovered/fixed it at some point. Is this a known issue and will it be patched in the next version of vBulletin 4? Can anyone suggest a work around or a fix for this?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Click image for larger version

Name:	IESpell-Ie9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	3681783Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-26_2217.png
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	3681784

Working fine for me in IE9

Comment

• coffeelover
      • Jul 2010

What? Not sure I get it...

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

The screens i posted, are from IE9, using the attach image feature.

Comment

• coffeelover
          • Jul 2010

I am on a different computer with IE 9 and now I can't even upload an image to this forum. Am I really the only person having problems with IE 9 like this?

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Are you using the standard, or enhanced editor? Did you try clicking on manage attachments?

Comment

• coffeelover
              • Jul 2010

I jump into developer mode IE 8 and it works just fine. I am on a completely different computer and forum (having same issues). I just don't understand why an update for issues related to IE 9 hasn't been released yet. I ran it in beta last year and noticed the issue with the tool bar and sign in line being off. The release date for IE 9 was pretty well publicized. Any idea when an update to address these issues will be available?

Name:	arther.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	3681802

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I have absolutely NO problems using IE9 every single day here.

Comment

• coffeelover
                  • Jul 2010

I jumped into developer mode IE 8 and it works just fine. I am on a completely different computer and forum (having same issues). I am clicking the little picture icon (for attaching images).

I just don't understand why an update for issues related to IE 9 hasn't been released yet. I ran it in beta last year and noticed the issue with the tool bar and sign in line being off. The release date for IE 9 was pretty well publicized. Any idea when an update to address these issues will be available?

Name:	arther.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	3681802

Comment

• coffeelover
                    • Jul 2010

Sorry for the double post - my browser timed out on me.

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by coffeelover
                      Sorry for the double post - my browser timed out on me.
                      It happens quite often with IE9.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Phaedrus
                        • Jul 2006

Almost all my users using IE8 or IE9 are reporting issues with the upgrade. Sometimes the passwords don't change to asterisks and they have to log in using the error screen, sometimes it is very slow and typing doesn't show up in the box right away. Several complain about uploading images, all of them have told me that using Firefox fixes their issues.

However my users are eccentric freaks that desperately want to use what they are used to, if there is a fix for Internet Explorer and how it works with this new version, I'd love to hear it.
                        No, my site isn't about Motorcycle Maintenance...

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

There are no problems with IE9 if you're running the default vBulletin templates, with no third party plugins.

Comment

• SSSlippy
                            • Jan 2006

The password thing I found that if u are on a slower server that the JavaScript does not finish downloading and because of it it's not using the code properly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...