How to Show Tagged Threads From Certain Category Only?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loudbox
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.0.x

[Forum] How to Show Tagged Threads From Certain Category Only?

Let's say I have two tags
    => apples
    => oranges

Then let's say I have 2 categories:
    => recipes
    => groceries

Both categories would have threads tagged "apples" and "oranges".

I now want to create a thread that has:
    => a link to threads tagged "apples" within the recipe category
    => a link to threads tagged "apples" within the grocery category

What's best way to go about this?

Thanks!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Loudbox
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.0.x

Hey thanks for your reply Steve. So you're saying this can't be done using a simple search?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Not that I'm aware of.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

You can build a command line query to do this.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?do=process&contenttypeid=1&forumchoice[]=153&tag=apple

The above string should only return this thread since I added the tag of apple to it. It has three variables:

contenttypeid - 1 which means forum posts in default installations.
          forumchoice[] - comma separated list of forums to search by ID. In this case, forumID 153.
          tag - the tag you are looking for.

You can also make these restrictions manually in the advanced search tab by click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.

For something automatic, you would probably need to have custom templates at the least and probably a custom plugin created.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Loudbox
            • Dec 2010
            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search.php?do=process&contenttypeid=1&forumchoice[]=153&tag=apple

The above string should only return this thread since I added the tag of apple to it. It has three variables:

forumchoice[] - comma separated list of forums to search by ID. In this case, forumID 153.

You can also make these restrictions manually in the advanced search tab by click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.

For something automatic, you would probably need to have custom templates at the least and probably a custom plugin created.
            This is just what I needed, and it works, thanks a lot.

Just one problem when I do this: test

On my install the forum turns the link above into this:

Why does vbulletin change the [ to #91; ? How do I prevent/fix this? I want to be able to put links that search specific tagged threads

Comment

• Loudbox
              • Dec 2010
              • 4.0.x

Solved it with url encoding

Comment

• Loudbox
                • Dec 2010
                • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

How can I search for multiple tags? For example: show all threads tagged apple & ipod, but not the ones tagged ipad. How would you go about that?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...