X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyppa
    • Dec 2007
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] New threads not read, but gone

Ok, im sure there are somewhere in the adminpanel i can fix this, but where?

Exampel:

I log on, se 3 pages of new threads that are new. Because i have not been on the forum for some days.

I start do read some of them, but have to log out. When i log in next time, they are all gone, and marked as read.

??
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

First, set this:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

Then change this is if want, or you can leave it at the default:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Database Read Marking Limit

The first time you set this all posts will show up as unread because the database marking is new. Once you mark the forums as read everything will work fine.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hyppa
      • Dec 2007
      • 4.2.X

Thank you, i then have done as you said:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

but, the 2. thing you say:

dmin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Database Read Marking Limit

it say:

The amount of time in days to store the thread and forum read times. All threads or forums without posts in this many days will be considered read.

Feil:1

Disable AJAX Features

i have set it to 100.

Is that correct?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You can just leave the second one at the default. There is no need to change it.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• hyppa
          • Dec 2007
          • 4.2.X

It does not give me any options. ?

Is 0 default?

It tell me this:

With "database read marking", the unread markers on threads and forums are persistent across forum sessions. If a user does not read a thread that is marked as unread, then that thread will remain unread every time the user visits the forum.

This setting allows you to force unread markers to switch to "read" after a so many days. This would be the amount of time after which the user probably has no interest in reading that thread and therefore does not need to know that it contains unread posts.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

The default is 10.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• hyppa
              • Dec 2007
              • 4.2.X

new question:

Now new and read threads show up random...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

As I said the first time you set this all posts will show up as unread because the database marking is new. Once you mark the forums as read everything will work fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• traen
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 4.1.x

Since this is related, what is the difference between no automatic forum marking and automatic forum marking? My forum was set to inactivity/cookie based, and changed it based on reading a few different threads and it sounded like a good idea. My members are now complaining about posts going missing after being read...Should I switch it back to cookie based or try the no automatic forum marking?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

From the Admin CP help for that option:

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
                    1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
                    2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
                    3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...