• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aileron
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] Database & Performance issues

Hi everybody!

We have installed vB 4.1.0 PL2 on a brand new dedicated root server (4GB RAM, Dualcore 64bit, CentOS) but the overall performance is rather poor. No more than approximately 200 users are using the forum at the same time, averaged over 45 minutes (Most users ever online was 252), usually it is less than that.

At some times, the board takes very long to respond, even time outs occur from time to time. At the same time, other files not related to the forum can be retrieved without problems. Especially when using the search attachment feature in the ACP, that regularly triggers a database error ("too many connections"). Further, Firefox quite often displays the following error message while accessing the forum. Other pages using the same web server (apache) are not affected. Reloading the requested page usually solves the problem temporarily.
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    I've increased the maximum number of connections in the my.cnf file up to the following values:

max_connections=1000
    max_user_connections=100

Unfortunately, that had no effect at all. Attachments are stored in the file system.

The same server hosts a couple of very small sites with almost no traffic. Those are not affected. Pages are available very quickly while vB4 just lags. Also, the "too many users" database error does not affect other scripts accessing the database. While that error message is displayed instead of the Forum, other pages accessing the MySQL server do not show any signs of problems. Unfortunately, this behavior cannot be reproduced and I do not see any relation between number of users online, time of day, ... Just when searching "new" attachments, the "too many connections" database error occurs very often (not always, though).

Any suggestions for improvements?
    Last edited by aileron; Thu 10 Feb '11, 1:18am.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

As you are on a dedicated server I would advise that you request server optimization help by starting a thread in the Server Configuration forum supplying the information requested in this thread:

Since this is not an official service the response may not be as fast as you are used to in the ticket system.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...