Album pics resolution/size restriction (not working...)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shockspoon
    • Feb 2008

[Forum] Album pics resolution/size restriction (not working...)

This issue is driving me mad.
    I run a 4.1.1 VB and in the all usergroup permissions I have stated as album pic dimensions the 1024*768.

BUT users can still upload MONSTER SIZE pics.

Result? Slow loading times, dead browsing via smartphones.

Could you PLEASE tell me what to do in order to have them upload smaller pics?
    I do not care if it restricts actual dimensions or size in KB but PLEASE give me a viable and working solution.

Thn in advance
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Are you sure these are attachments and not IMG code pics? Do you have a link?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• shockspoon
      • Feb 2008

Of course Steve. Τhey are not hotlinks with IMG tags.

I browse their galleries and I very often spot very very big pictures. So the system allows them to upload them.
      I did not judge just from the forum-appearing pics.

Is there a solution?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Link?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• shockspoon
          • Feb 2008

Since only members can see the album pics, how can I send you a username and a password? (your PM is blocked)

In this link

the first pic is 2716*1528 (although the image resizer states 800*1421...Just save the pic in your PC and open it with a photo editor to see the true resolution)

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

I see modifications, including this: Image resizer by SevenSkins

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog and vB CMS if you are running the Suite.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• shockspoon
              • Feb 2008

OK Steve, I will do that.
              BUT in the midtime,for "educational" reasons , can you suggest me the best way to restrict picture dimensions?

Are only the dimension restriction being supported in VB?
              Can't I set a maximum file size? The only thing I can see in AdminCP is the size limit for the WHOLE album...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

AFAIK the normal attachment settings and restrictions work with the default vB code. I have not seen otherwise yet.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• shockspoon
                  • Feb 2008

Thank you Steve.

But can you tell me if VB in the current version supports resizing? Or if I can state maximum size of album picture?

If not I guess I am to choose between
                  a)possibly effective dimensions restriction by VB engine (which I have not encounter yet, unfortunately)
                  b)no restriction but tidier posts (but slow load) - the state I am in...

Right?
                  Last edited by shockspoon; Sun 6 Feb '11, 9:26pm.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

For albums, add the following to your additional.css template:

#picturelink img {max-width: 600px;}

Changing the size for the dimensions you wish
                    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• shockspoon
                      • Feb 2008

I left only the chatbox product (I disabled the image resizer - I did not change style) and I still have problem.
                      I can upload whatever dimension pic I want!

Also the vbulletin info states:
                      Album Picture Maximum Width (pixels) - The maximum width for a Picture. vBulletin will try to scale the Picture down to this size if you have an "Image Processing Library" enabled.
                      Album Picture Maximum Height (pixels) - The maximum height for a Picture. vBulletin will try to scale the Picture down to this size if you have an "Image Processing Library" enabled.

So, is there a way to restrict the images uploaded in the Albums depending on their size (pixels or kbytes)?

Thanx in advance

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

You mean don't allow lager images to be resized down to the settings you have?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• shockspoon
                          • Feb 2008

No,no,no!

I just want to limit the dimensions of the pictures, my users can upload to their albums.
                          I do now want pics of e.g 3500*2516 to be uploaded!

It spoils the post look, it wrecks the browsing experience especially in low bandwidth connections and it fills up my server's hard disk

I want a way to restrict the pics uploaded either by pixel dimensions or kbytes.
                          I had no success to do the first one, I found no selection to do the second.

Plz give me some help.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

The limitations are in the Usergroup settings.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• shockspoon
                              • Feb 2008

But as I have told you, these "limitations" inside the usergroup settings do not work.
                              I have set a 1024*768 pixels limit to all the user groups and the users can still upload monster-size pics...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...