X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vskylabv
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

[Forum] PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning

What does this mean? and how do I fix this?
    I use subscription based forums.

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal
    Art of Travel Blogging : The Travel Blogging Community for Beginners and Professionals
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

If you are receiving the IPN failure emails or your payments seem to have stopped working, please do the following to troubleshoot:

1. Check your Paypal IPN settings (in your Paypal account) and make sure that IPNs are not currently disabled. If they are disabled, then contact Paypal to get them re-enabled. You can check if IPNs are disabled by check
    ing your IPN history and seeing if your recent IPN messages have a status of "disabled". (My Account => History => IPN History)

2. Check your Paypal IPN settings and make sure your Notification URL is empty. This needs to be empty because (a) it is not necessary, since vBulletin sends Paypal the correct URL to send the IPN to along with the payme
    nt request. (This is the notify_url parameter in the subscription_payment_paypal template). (b) The other reason this needs to be empty, is that if you have your vBulletin URL there, then Paypal will send IPN messages fo
    r all of your Paypal transactions, not only the ones that originate from your vBulletin installation. This will eventually cause Paypal to disable IPN for your account due to the failed IPNs.

3. Make sure your Forum URL is correct in your vBulletin settings. (vBulletin Options => Site Name / URL / Contact Details => Forum URL) It should be the URL to your forums, with no trailing slash (/).

Another thing to note is when the transaction log in the Admin CP shows 'failure' for a transaction, that does not mean that the Paypal IPN failed, it only means that the transaction was not a charge or a reversal.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• vskylabv
      • Feb 2009
      • 3.8.x

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the help. There's an issue though.
      Paypal says: "You must enter a properly formatted URL into the Notification URL field in order to activate Instant Payment Notification."
      This is in the Edit Instant Payment Notification (IPN) settings under Profile -> Instant Payment Notification Preferences.
      It does not let me save.
      Art of Travel Blogging : The Travel Blogging Community for Beginners and Professionals

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. Try contacting PayPal.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• vskylabv
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

I'm sorry Steve but that makes no sense. You have in your directions to enable IPN without putting in a URL when that is not even possible. I believe you may to need to revise how vBulletin works with Paypal.

I'm contacting Paypal if this is even possible and I will update you. If Paypal tells me it's not possible, then vBulletin officially does not work with Paypal in its latest version.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Okay. Please report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• vskylabv
              • Feb 2009
              • 3.8.x

Steve,
              I just created a forum, an entire CMS section with dozens of articles, and bought a new license around the entire fact of using Paypal with vBulletin. I'll submit the bug but this is REALLY going to put me off the edge if it doesn't work --- soon... I pray and hope there is a solution to this.
              Thanks for the quick replies as always.

Comment

• vskylabv
                • Feb 2009
                • 3.8.x

For anyone wanting to follow along, here is the bug report page.

Please comment, vote, whatever - get this to be heard. This is a complete showstopper for anyone using Paid Subscriptions with Paypal on vb4.

Comment

• ENF
                  • Apr 2002

Hi there,

If you follow the setup instructions here:

It works fine. We're having no problems with IPN and VB4. (I ran test to be sure, and the payment and IPN went through successfully)

Using the dummy URL works wit PayPal Premier accounts.

Good Luck.
                  To be updated...

Comment

• vskylabv
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 3.8.x

What URL exactly are you using?

is not a working URL

Also that goes against what Steve says about putting a URL.

This needs to be empty because (a) it is not necessary, since vBulletin sends Paypal the correct URL to send the IPN to along with the payment request. (This is the notify_url parameter in the subscription_payment_paypal template). (b) The other reason this needs to be empty, is that if you have your vBulletin URL there, then Paypal will send IPN messages fo
                    r all of your Paypal transactions, not only the ones that originate from your vBulletin installation. This will eventually cause Paypal to disable IPN for your account due to the failed IPNs.
                    Another note: The directions on the URL are VERY old. The comments from December 2005 says that IPN's are no longer needed.

Comment

• ENF
                      • Apr 2002

I realize that, but I'm telling you that the instructions work.

URL I have used: http://www.example.com/forums/payment_gateway.php?method=paypal

I updated your JIRA Entry with screen-shots.

PayPal *DOES* require a URL, but it doesn't have to be real. The PayPal API gets the correct info from the VB input.
                      To be updated...

Comment

• ENF
                        • Apr 2002

Last update for this thread:

I've updated the ticket with screen shots of:

1) User CP - Sucessful Subscription/Purchase
                        2) PayPal IPN Settings (URL)
                        3) PayPal IPN Log (transactions)
                        4) AdminCP - Transaction Log (Showing Transaction/Message ID's)

Hope this helps.
                        To be updated...

Comment

• vskylabv
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Thanks for the update! I've just included the dummy URL and going to test it out now. Weird though that the URL I put in earlier gave me errors while this dummy URL seems to work. What difference does it make what URL is on there if it goes to a nonworking URL anyway? So strange.

Comment

• ENF
                            • Apr 2002

Originally posted by vskylabv
                            Thanks for the update! I've just included the dummy URL and going to test it out now. Weird though that the URL I put in earlier gave me errors while this dummy URL seems to work. What difference does it make what URL is on there if it goes to a nonworking URL anyway? So strange.
                            Maybe formatting... but it works. That's all I care about.
                            To be updated...

Comment

• MacroPhotoPro
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 4.2.x

I am having this same trouble too, and am getting no response from the Ticket system. This is very serious, because (like the OP) the entire reason I purchased this software was to get paid subscriptions, and if the system shuts down that is a deal-breaker.

Does this dummy URL still work for you ENF?

Any updates?

Once again I thank you for your time,

Jack
                              Website | Facebook | Flickr Photostream

Comment