X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirhaden
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Is this a Section / Category Bug?

Can you have the same category in multiple sections?

If so, how to do you assign a specific article to the category associated with that section? There seems to be a bug on the Edit Article page where you select the category associated with the article. The options are to Show "Everything", "Everything, Sorted", and "This Section". I've been selecting the section first, then choosing Show "This Section" and doing a search for my category name to select it. The problem is the article is not getting assigned to the category associated with the selected section.

For example, if I select Show "Everything", it only gives the list of categories for the last section. In the adminCP Category Manager, the item counts are zero for the categories in all sections except the last one. I don't even have any articles in the last section, nor do any show up when I select that last section from the menu widget.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

No, a category only belongs in one section.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Edwin Brown
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • Mar 2009
      • 5.5.x

Short version- ignore those and use the checkboxes.

Long version:

What you are talking about is a search function.

Because some users can have hundreds, even thousands, of sections it can be difficult to find the section you want in that little box. If you only have like four sections then you can ignore those. If you have a lot of sections, then those will sort and filter so you can find the section(s) you want. But until you have checked a box, the article is not assigned to that category.

If you believe the counts are incorrect then I would recommend clearing the cache, then viewing the category where the count is wrong. It might be something is incorrectly assigned to categories. If that's not the case, please submit a Tracker report.
      Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...