X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirhaden
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Need Help after Moving from Windows to Linux Hosting

I moved hosting of our site from Windows hosting to Linux. The database stayed the same, but the domain IP address changed. The control panel comes up, along with the CMS Front Page and the Forum main page. Clicking on any of the CMS sections or any of the Forums results in a page not found error.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Are there any Windows specific settings that could have been made via the adminCP that need to be changed?
  • sirhaden
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

Also, this may be related... In my attempts to change file and folder permissions I did set the root folder (and all children) to 755 permissions. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Links would help.

Instructions for moving servers are in the online manual here:

Note: The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

P.S. If you do not have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Bigdump (restore only):
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• sirhaden
        • Jan 2011
        • 4.1.x

As the database did not get changed and remains on the same server (different than the original and new vB host server), do I still need to backup/restore the database? The only thing that changed was the vB hosting and the associated IP of the new server.

Would it be better to do a fresh install and try to import or connect to the existing database?

Are there any logs that might assist in detecting what the problem is and help to avoid having to make major changes?
        Last edited by sirhaden; Sat 29 Jan '11, 2:48pm. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

You said this:

I moved hosting of our site from Windows hosting to Linux.
          I do not see how that is possible without moving server. Therefore I am now thoroughly confused. Try explaining again.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• sirhaden
            • Jan 2011
            • 4.1.x

The mysql database was stored on a different server then the server where the website was hosted, 2 different computers.

In summary, this is where I am at:

I deleted the entire vB install that was transferred from the Windows server to the Linux server and I've reinstalled vB on the cleaned Linux host. Before the installation process, I went into the phpMyAdmin and backed up my entire vB database. During the install of vB on the new Linux host, I directed the installation to remove the tables from the database so it could be recreated fresh. I've just now reinstalled my previous skin and now I would like to restore my users and content from the backed up sql file.

Can you please direct me as to the best way to restore my users, content, etc. from the backed up database sql file?

Thanks greatly...

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

As per my previous post, do not use phpMyAdmin to backup or restore your database it is not reliable. Please see post #3 for the proper instructions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• sirhaden
                • Jan 2011
                • 4.1.x

As I did not have telnet nor SSH access to the database server, the database was backed up using phpMyAdmin. Could please direct me as to the best way, without telnet or SSH access, to restore at least my users and CMS/Forum content? If it doesn't work then it's my loss, but I would like to try...

I don't want to restore the entire database, just the users and content.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Again post #3 lists some alternatives.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• sirhaden
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 4.1.x

What tables would I restore to restore just the users and content? Please be more helpful than pointing me back to post #3.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

You have to restore all the tables since the data is shared among many tables.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• sirhaden
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 4.1.x

I tried using the Bigdump program, but was unsuccessful. I do have 2 copies of the backup made with phpMyAdmin. I am in the process of installing mySql on my local PC so I can attempt to load the backed up copie(s) and verify validity. Any further help with would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• sirhaden
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 4.1.x

Before I give up and blow away the entire database and vB installation and start from the beginning again...

I've used the Bigdump program on one of my phpMyAdmin backups and it succeeded. When I try to go to site now, I am getting an error HTTP 404. Is there anything else I can try? Is there an error log somewhere that might help?

If I create a support ticket, can I get additional help with this?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

What's the link? Are the necessary files all uploaded?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• sirhaden
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 4.1.x

I've gotten further due to backups of externally generated sitemaps and the phpMyAdmin backups I made. All work is being done manually and is extremely cumbersome. I don't think I'll be able to recreate my users, but that's not a big issue right now. I am able to manually recover my CMS content but it will end up taking most of the day today. I have another test or 2 to run when I'm finished, then I'll post a new thread detailing what I've discovered and how I was able to recover data from a phpMyAdmin backed up database.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...