Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirhaden
    • Jan 2011
    • 4.1.x

[CMS] Another Section/Category Question...

I have brought up a gaming site up using vBulletin with CMS. What I would like to do is have something like the following for the CMS:

Under Sections
    -----------------
    Achievements
    Reviews
    Trailers
    Walkthroughs

Under Categories
    --------------------
    Bioshock
    Borderlands
    Bulletstorm
    etc...

Case 1) What I would like to have happen is when a I click on the Reviews section, the categories widget would get reset with the list of games that have reviews. Clicking on one of the games in the category widget would take me to the Reviews for that game. (I think this is possible).

Case 2) Another option would be that the categories widget is always populated with all the categories (games). If, for example, there is a game listed in the categories widget that has a Trailer, a Review and a Walkthrough, then there would be a (3) next to the game title in the category widget. If I select the that category (game title) in the widget I would be shown the Trailer, Review and Walkthrough for that game title. (I imagine this is not possible)

Case 3) I've seen the category widget displayed as a tree. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have my game titles actually be subcategories of parent genre categories, such as Shooter, Sports, Racing, etc. The subcategories would be listed as subnodes in a collapsible tree with the categories as the tree nodes. This would allow a user to look for a game under it's genre rather than search through the entire list of games.

Are any of these possible? If so, what type of widgets would get me there?

Thanks greatly
  • Edwin Brown
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2009
    • 5.5.x

If I understand you correctly... 1 and 2 are how the system works now. I have never seen a category widget with the expanding tree view- that's only the section. There may be something on vbulletin.org that does that.
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• sirhaden
      • Jan 2011
      • 4.1.x

I am not sure how to accomplish cases 1 or 2. What widgets would I use for each case and under what section would I place the categories (list of games). Do I have to replicate the categories across all sections for both case 1 and case 2? I've tried all 3 category widgets to no avail.

For example, I write a Review about Bioshock. I assign the article to the Review section and the Bioshock category. If the "show all" or "bottom up" category widget is used, I see all the categories (games) when I select the Review section, even though there is only a single Review article (this is expected). If I use the "top down" category widget nothing is displayed in the category widget even though the article is clearly assigned to the Review section and Bioshock category (this is not expected).

Currently the categories (list of games) are all placed in the top "Front Page" section. Also, I cannot get the "Front Page" section show up in the section widget.

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...