Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hummie
    • Nov 2007

[Forum] SEO Abuse/Signature Links

I have been having droves of people sign up to my forum, add links to their signature lines, then never return.

The only thing I can think of why people would go through this great effort is to give themselves link love back to their own site.

I can imagine how time consuming it is to sign up for the forums and edit your signature line.

Does that really work to help their page rank?

I've found myself pruning my forum often now. Anyone who hasn't been logged in for a short period of time or made one post (first posts are moderated) get pruned away. There efforts are for null. I want real people who really want to hang out with me clogging my database, not people benefiting themselves only.
  • Hummie
    • Nov 2007

So no one else is having this problem?

I had about 20 new accounts just last night ...all adding an avatar and links in the sig lines that have nothing to do with my site.
    In addition, I have a special profile field and they all put the same thing in there.

Comment

• Dirt Bike Addict
      • May 2010
      • 4.1.x

Are you sure that they're actually real people and not just spam bots? If you haven't already I'd advise adding Q & A to the registration process.

Comment

• THRiLL KiLL
        • Jan 2011
        • 4.1.x

i agree with DBA, it sounds like bots

Comment

• Hummie
          • Nov 2007

I've wondered if it is bots, but I cannot see how. I've watched them. They actually edit their signature line, upload an avatar, and sometimes even post something in the chatbox. They seem to be humans.

Here is one from today: http://www.hummiesworld.com/forum/me...4932-arumi4524
          You see the avatar; click on "about me" and look at the signature lines.
          I've tested quiet a few signature lines and they all seem to go to legitimate website.

Even the location, interests, and occupation are filled out.
          The one that always cues me that is wrong is the special field for "program used"....those signing up for the site are using a program for digital scrapbooking and it's important for me to know what they are using to help educate them.

Here's another one:

hummiesworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hummiesworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and yes I do have the question feature for registration and I've tried changing it from time to time, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It used to be what killed the spambots, but these seem to be real people just making accounts for the purpose of giving themselves "link love" for page rank.

I'm not having a problem with them spamming my forum at all, just with them creating accounts and putting links in signature lines.

I think I'm going to try to edit "registered users" somehow so that group cannot create signatures.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Just set 'Can Use Signatures' to 'No for that usergroup.
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Hummie
              • Nov 2007

yep...I had to set it so that registered users could not update signatures and profiles and that did help ...not completely, but I shouldn't have to go through so much work to stop the bad guys.

Comment

• rajubd
                • Apr 2009
                • 4.1.x

i think those are link building bot. i am also having same problem..
                MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• Carlos 360
                  Banned
                  • May 2008
                  • 3.7.x

I have this same problem - but its in the vb3 series. I have to spend a few hours a day just to get rid of not just the links in the signature, but also "website" field.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...