Banning members but they are not banned?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donwon
    • Apr 2008

[Forum] Banning members but they are not banned?

I have had to ban a couple people lately but after I ban them they still post and use private messaging.

I have literally had to just take their accounts and change the passwords and emails to keep them from posting.

I haven't changed anything in years except doing upgrades. Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • GamerPerfection
    • Feb 2006
    • 4.2.X

How exactly have you banned them?

Have yopu placed them in the banned usergroup? Have you tried banning their email address or IP address?
    http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

• Private_Ale
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.8.x

Do two things for me?

First go here:
      Admin CP >> User Infractions >> User Infraction Manager
      Then scroll down until you see 'Automatic Ban'.

Make sure that all of your bans are set to go to a usergroup. 'Primary Usergroup' should show as 'All Usergroups' and 'Ban Usergroup' should be 'Banned' or whatever your banned group is.

OK if that's good then let's proceed to the second item. What was your 'Ban Usergroup'? Whatever it was, go to 'Usergroup Manager' and click on your banned usergroup. Scroll all the way down to 'Usergroup Options'. Make sure..
      • Allow Users to have Member Groups is set to No
      • This Usergroup is not a 'Banned' Group is set to No

Also, one more point to look at while you're inside your banned group settings, make sure that it does not have any PM or posting permissions. (I generally just set everything to No)

If all of that is correct, I suggest you raise a support ticket.

Comment

• acawley
        • Jan 2011
        • 4.1.x

Banned Users Reportedly Coming Back from the Dead

I'm experiencing the same as the initial poster.

The majority of my banned users are being banned from the frontend by moderators and myself using the "Delete Post as Spam" option. We are using the permanent ban method yet the one thing I have noticed is that my list of banned users is slowly going down on it's own!

It seems like people are somehow getting off the ban-list and are then able to re-post & spam.

A lot of my spam & ban settings will be the default as my forum setup is relatively young, as far as I can see when users are being banned they are correctly being moved to the "Banned Users" usergroup, can I just confirm that the vBulletin defaults will pretty much correctly moved banners users to where they need to be? Or do settings need to be tweaked in order to do this?

Thanks for your time and help,

Comment

• acawley
          • Jan 2011
          • 4.1.x

Update: Just to confirm I have got users that have been put into the "Banned Users" group with a permanent ban never to be lifted, somehow they are managing to get out of the banner users list and post more spam!?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by acawley
            Update: Just to confirm I have got users that have been put into the "Banned Users" group with a permanent ban never to be lifted, somehow they are managing to get out of the banner users list and post more spam!?
            That is not possible with the default vB code and the latest version. Please staert your own thread with all the relevant details.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...