Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick1
    • Dec 2010

[Forum] Big file upload?

Hi All, I have a problem with uploading big files on to site. Try to upload 35kb file on to a thread. I am using upload manger but it gets about half way and then stops uploading. I have put the upload settings to the max but still not had any joy. Any help please?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

35kb is not big.

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and change the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf (or my.ini for Windows systems)

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.

Note: Do NOT use MB, just M for the megabytes setting.

You may also need to increase the memory_limit, max_execution_time and max_input_time variables in php.ini.

Also you might want to take a look at this for other settings that affect file uploads:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nick1
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      35kb is not big.

In addition to the vB settings, the allowed size of the attachments depends on the PHP and MySQL configuration. You may need to check and change the upload size for both PHP and for MySQL. Note, you'll need to have root access to the server to do this (or have your host do it.) Make these changes to php.ini:

upload_max_filesize = xM

..and my.cnf (or my.ini for Windows systems)

set-variable=max_allowed_packet=xM

Change it to the size ('x') you want in Megabytes. Restart the webserver and MySQL after making these changes.

Note: Do NOT use MB, just M for the megabytes setting.

You may also need to increase the memory_limit, max_execution_time and max_input_time variables in php.ini.

Also you might want to take a look at this for other settings that affect file uploads:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...319#post748319
      Hi, I have done this but still not working. Is there any thing else i can do

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You have done all of that? If so, you have to have root access to this server. If you are having problems uploading 35k files then this has to be a server issue. Nothing n vB could cause this.

What do the server errors logs show?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• nick1
          • Dec 2010

You have done all of that? If so, you have to have root access to this server. If you are having problems uploading 35k files then this has to be a server issue. Nothing n vB could cause this.

What do the server errors logs show?
          Hi steve please can you tell me how to get the server errors logs up please?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

That depends on the server. Do you have root access to the server?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nick1
              • Dec 2010

That depends on the server. Do you have root access to the server?
              No. It is hosted. Should i have a word with the host? Also sameone told me i should change from database to file system? Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

In post #3 you said that you did everything in post #2. You need root access to do that, therefore you could not have done this. You need to contact your host.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• rajubd
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 4.1.x

you have to change permission on your attachment directorey to 777 chomd -r ..
                  MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• nick1
                    • Dec 2010

In post #3 you said that you did everything in post #2. You need root access to do that, therefore you could not have done this. You need to contact your host.
                    I got the host to do it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

And have you confirmed those changes? This is still a server issue.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nick1
                        • Dec 2010

And have you confirmed those changes? This is still a server issue.
                        I have asked the host to check the server and they said it was ok. And i can upload files upto 10mb. but i have tryed a 38.4kb with no joy.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all products (except vB Blog and vB CMS if you are running the Suite.)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Manage Products -> Disable

Then manually uncheck all plugins that are not for 'vBulletin Blog' and vBulletin CMS' here:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

You must do BOTH of those steps in order to disable all non vBulletin Modifications.

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem? If so, this has to be a server issue which only your host can resolve.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• nick1
                            • Dec 2010

Right it uploads now but when it gets to the end of the upload it say upload failed. Why is this?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 5.7.X

You'll need to check your server's error logs for the reason
                              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...