Massive increase in spam attacks on my small site. What gives?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fly
    • Oct 2003

But your own Q&A would likely work just as well. reCATPCHA was obviously easier, but now that its been cracked... If you craft the questions correctly, no bot is going to get around them.

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Q&A doesnt stop human signups. My suggestions do impact human spammer signups, human members spamming, and bots taking over after human signups.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• darren1981
        • Oct 2007
        • 4.0.x

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2146263 <--- Install that, it's prevented all auto post / auto signup's on my boards.. highly recommend this vb.org MOD.

Comment

• sabillondesigns
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Fly
          btw, you can still keep reCAPTCHA and add a question.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-registrations

I added this. But is also shows on Edit profile. Anyway to have it only on registration?

Comment

• Fly
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by sabillondesigns
            I added this. But is also shows on Edit profile. Anyway to have it only on registration?
            Did you change the option listed in the walkthrough?

Field Required: Yes, at registration and profile updating

Comment

• GamerPerfection
              • Feb 2006
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
              Q&A doesnt stop human signups.
              It does if the muppets that are getting paid to do the sign-ups are dumb asses. :P
              http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/gp-bar.png http://www.gamerperfection.com/images/facebook-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/twitter-32.pnghttp://www.gamerperfection.com/images/youtube-32.png

Comment

• DelDrago
                • Nov 2010
                • 4.2.X

I installed the mod mentioned above a few days ago, and it stopped all of the spambots in their tracks. Before that I was getting inundated since last week.
                Fantasy Writing Forum - Mythic Scribes

Comment

• Ramsesx
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Q&A is a very powerful defense, if customized well and tailored to your site it should slow spam registrations down if not stop them. It is always going to be a cat and mouse game, but chance are if your custom tailored questions, its going to stop them.
                  Q&A is only effective if the questions are more difficult than those like "what is 10-8?" (that's my Q&A Question ), but if the questions are too hard you may prevent the registering of some human users especially when language barriers are involved.
                  I use three addons and a simple Q&A, the first is filtering the most spam accounts by check of the time a registration is made, if it's more quick than 10 seconds it's giving an error.
                  Second is vbstopforumspam and third is a IP Country check moving users from (spam) suspicious countries into moderation queue.
                  This system is nearly perfect for my needs.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                    Q&A is only effective if the questions are more difficult than those like "what is 10-8?" (that's my Q&A Question ), but if the questions are too hard you may prevent the registering of some human users especially when language barriers are involved.
                    I use three addons and a simple Q&A, the first is filtering the most spam accounts by check of the time a registration is made, if it's more quick than 10 seconds it's giving an error.
                    Second is vbstopforumspam and third is a IP Country check moving users from (spam) suspicious countries into moderation queue.
                    This system is nearly perfect for my needs.
                    There are translation options.

Comment

• GoHighVoltage
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 4.2.x

I added two questions to the registration with "expressions" to verify correct answer, and I have not had any spam registrations at all.

Comment

• sabillondesigns
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Fly
                        Did you change the option listed in the walkthrough?

Field Required: Yes, at registration and profile updating
                        yes I chose that. Whenever you tried to update your profile you need to answer that question. I would like to have it only on registration page. Not sure if that's possible.

Comment